Metal Halide?

Kimberly P

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan U.S.A.
I have a few metal halide light fixtures from my old reef tank, I'm not using for anything now, couldn't I change out the bulb from a 150W 20,000k to a 150W 65,000K for $11.00 and use it in my torts enclosure? Or are MVB that much better? If so why?

Thank you in advance..

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
You could. But halides provide a much different light spectrum(if reef bulb) I did a thread on it a while back and provided the different spectrums each bulb emits. I think Mvb will be your best bet

Kimberly P

Michigan U.S.A.
You could. But halides provide a much different light spectrum(if reef bulb) I did a thread on it a while back and provided the different spectrums each bulb emits. I think Mvb will be your best bet
The light spectrum is based on the Kelvin of the bulb, 65,000K is a spectrum recommended for plant growth, where as 20,000K is a spectrum recommended more for reef/coral growth. Could you post a link to your thread? I would love to read it. Thank you. :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Metal halides can and do produce UVA, UVB and even UVC, and do so with an overall incredibly high amount of lumens as compared to other lights. Shielding on most HID lights block out the UVC and UVB spectrum. So if you wanted to use the plant designed ones, know that you will be gaining only the UVA and lumens from it (which is perfectly fine). There are reptile HIDs that do produce good amounts of UVB, of which ReptileUV/MegaRay makes a version. Also they produce quiet amount of heat as well as a required ballast….( and it does hum a little ) We have used them in the indoor growing industry for years , but now the Herp industry is jumping in on the ball game and coating the bulb to get different results.
Here is a great link explaining how Metal Halides work ….
http://www.edisontechcenter.org/metalhalide.html

Kimberly P

Michigan U.S.A.
Metal halides can and do produce UVA, UVB and even UVC, and do so with an overall incredibly high amount of lumens as compared to other lights. Shielding on most HID lights block out the UVC and UVB spectrum. So if you wanted to use the plant designed ones, know that you will be gaining only the UVA and lumens from it (which is perfectly fine). There are reptile HIDs that do produce good amounts of UVB, of which ReptileUV/MegaRay makes a version. Also they produce quiet amount of heat as well as a required ballast….( and it does hum a little ) We have used them in the indoor growing industry for years , but now the Herp industry is jumping in on the ball game and coating the bulb to get different results.
Here is a great link explaining how Metal Halides work ….
http://www.edisontechcenter.org/metalhalide.html
Thank you for the link and information N2TORTS I very much appreciate it, Maybe I'll just use the plant design MH for the plants? I just hate when things go to waste when they can be put to use. I don't doubt the advise I've been given, obviously tortadise and yourself know far more what you're doing than I do. I just always want to know the reasons behind what I'm doing, why MVB is more beneficial so, I can better understand why I'm doing it and feel more confident when doing so.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I will try and find it do yah. Was a long time ago. It basically sums up what JD mentioned. Halides, high pressure sodium, and traditional MVB do produce all the rays but some produce a lot. The mercury vapor produces more I the colors needed for reptiles than that of a halide. Halides are great because of the water the UVA needs to power through. But might be too powerful for reptiles unless mounted at a certain height.

Kimberly P

Michigan U.S.A.
I will try and find it do yah. Was a long time ago. It basically sums up what JD mentioned. Halides, high pressure sodium, and traditional MVB do produce all the rays but some produce a lot. The mercury vapor produces more I the colors needed for reptiles than that of a halide. Halides are great because of the water the UVA needs to power through. But might be too powerful for reptiles unless mounted at a certain height.
Thank you Kelly, that makes a lot of sense. I've come across a few different MVB bulbs which one do you recommend? The indoor closed chamber is going to be 2' H x 3' D x 8' L how many do you think I'll need to light it adequately?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I would put one bulb on one end as the other end go with a tub bulb. Zoomed ones are good.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
just a quick note .........your Metal Halide Bulbs emit more on the Blue and green spectrums ( representing spring and early summer light waves) while your High Pressure Sodium Bulbs will deliver more reds and oranges representing late summer and fall aka " harvest times" .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is this enclosure going to be a closed chamber? If yes, then all of the above bulbs will be too hot and you'll need to use florescent tubes for UV, if needed. And a lower wattage incandescent for basking.