More eggs!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I had 7 YF eggs in the incubator, four of which were retained eggs that came out with the new bunch, then I found (if I'm remembering correctly) 5 sitting in the sun and probably cooked. So two clutches of YF eggs in the incubator. The incubator is smelling pretty ripe, so I don't hold out much hope of any of them being any good. So this a.m. when I opened the shed to the YF tortoises I saw an egg on the floor and when I moved the box they sleep under there were 4 more under there. Hopefully this time I'll be lucky enough to hatch out some YF babies!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hope they hatch out for yah. Yellow foots are awesome and very underrated. I have had fertility issues with all mine. Seems I can't find a large enough male to handle the jumbo females.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really don't think size is an issue. I had a very young and quite small male leopard tortoise - about a quarter the size of the large female. He was able to subdue her, cover her and subsequently the eggs hatched.

You might try separating them for a few months. When you put him back in with them he will go at it with renewed vigor and maybe get the job done.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Size matters not, as a wise man once said. It is thee motion of the ocean, not the size of your dinghy, ok that's enough. Is this your first big batch of yf eggs?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have three YF's that I raised from eggs that are now about 4 or 5 years old. No eggs in the intervening years, but now I'm getting going again - with eggs at least. Having a hard time getting any of them to hatch, though.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have three YF's that I raised from eggs that are now about 4 or 5 years old. No eggs in the intervening years, but now I'm getting going again - with eggs at least. Having a hard time getting any of them to hatch, though.
When I had a nice alpha male and hatched them out I incubated them like Redfoots, mid 80s. But I covered them with sphagnum moss and had them buried quite deep in vermiculite. That seemed to help. We will find out in 4-5 more months if it still worked. Have some incubating too. Say Yvonne are your Eggs from these guys huge?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
About the same size as a ping pong ball. They're from my young YF and she's not very big.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hmmm
About the same size as a ping pong ball. They're from my young YF and she's not very big.
weee compared to my guys. There mammoth eggs. But then again they came from the "amazon basin" area from Peru so who knows.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How are the eggs all looking?

My incubator smells, but I added moist vermiculite to cover the eggs and now the gnats are gone. But so far nothing is hatching.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
My incubator smells, but I added moist vermiculite to cover the eggs and now the gnats are gone. But so far nothing is hatching.
Man sucks. I had one explode yesterday so had to throw that clutch out. I put the rest in the "egg pot" buried.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't toss the eggs when one explodes in the incubator. I just clean up the goop and leave them in there. That's the way my last three YF's hatched. Those eggs were black and stinkin', and after one exploded, a few weeks later the three babies hatched out of black stinkin' eggs.