more help please

GrammyTree

Location (City and/or State)
Renick, WV
I hate to keep pestering. But I have another problem with one of my adults. Back up story... when our female Molly had some eye problem I would soak her in warm water and flush her eye out. She had laid some eggs and then her eyes have been fine ever since. Now our other female Greta is having an issue with her eyes. Is this something to do with them having eggs or is there a problem elsewhere that we need to find. Please let me know your thoughts on this matter.

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
No we haven't set up their permanent lighting yet so we are using just regular light bulbs. Two task lights clamped to hang down the middle of the tank.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
No we haven't set up their permanent lighting yet so we are using just regular light bulbs. Two task lights clamped to hang down the middle of the tank.

How big is the tank and how many is it housing? What type temps do you have and what is the humidity? Since this has occurred before it could be a temp and humidity issue

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
Here is the setup. Please know this isn't the final stage

Screenshot_2016-09-12-20-59-47.png

Last edited by a moderator:

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
How big is the tank and how many is it housing? What type temps do you have and what the humidity? Since this has occurred before it could be a temp and humidity issue
THE temperature is around 75 to 80. The same temp that is in the house. We also have two small fans blowing to keep it from getting too warm. The humid is around 70 and the substrate is watered often to keep it moist.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Do they get any natural sunlight?

M

Maggie Cummings

What species are your box turtles? How many are there and what is your substrate? They are pretty aquatic, mine go into a pond daily. I do see a water dish, but they like to swim or soak. Try using a paint roller tray or something bigger that they can soak in. Here's one of mine. I don't think yours are kept wet enough, that will cause dry eyes. Do you have males and females together 24/7? BTW, glass blocks the UVB rays, do they ever go out?DSCN2621.JPG

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Sounds like they need some UVB. The skylights filter/block it and the regular lights aren't putting any off.

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
What species are your box turtles? How many are there and what is your substrate? They are pretty aquatic, mine go into a pond daily. I do see a water dish, but they like to swim or soak. Try using a paint roller tray or something bigger that they can soak in. Here's one of mine. I don't think yours are kept wet enough, that will cause dry eyes. Do you have males and females together 24/7? BTW, glass blocks the UVB rays, do they ever go out?View attachment 186769
No we don't have the outside pen yet. We have 6 eastern box turtles. They were all given to us after we had a bad flood in WV. So we haven't had them long. Yes we have two males and two females. We also have two that are too young to tell yet. We have plans for having a soaking spot at the end of the tank. I take them out and give them a soak when I can. The substrate is cypress mulch and Peet moss mix.

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
What species are your box turtles? How many are there and what is your substrate? They are pretty aquatic, mine go into a pond daily. I do see a water dish, but they like to swim or soak. Try using a paint roller tray or something bigger that they can soak in. Here's one of mine. I don't think yours are kept wet enough, that will cause dry eyes. Do you have males and females together 24/7? BTW, glass blocks the UVB rays, do they ever go out?View attachment 186769
Are they actually swimming? That is really nice. I hope to have them a nice setup outside by next year. Kinda late for it now. As I mentioned before these were given to us as we have aquatic ones and I guess they thought we could take care of them. We fell in love with them right away. Greta is the only one that wasn't given to us. I almost ran over her in a very bad spot on the road. She is gorgeous and so tame. She ate out of our hands immediately and has a very "soft mouth"

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
Screenshot_2016-09-12-21-30-45.png
Sounds like they need some UVB. The skylights filter/block it and the regular lights aren't putting any off.
Could it happen so quickly. She was fine this morning. When I went to feed her this evening she couldn't open either eye. I soaked her in warm water and flushed her eyes out. Did it again before she went to bed. She still had an appetite so I gave her her favorite...banana and strawberry. Hoping the vitamin C would help.

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't believe they are wet enough. I'm not too concerned about UVB as box turtles can get what they need from a good varied diet of fruit and protein, provided they DO get a good diet. Are the males constantly mating the females? Please read this care sheet about food and housing. I don't believe that table is big enough for 6 box turtles, it's too dry and I, personally, don't keep my males and females box turtles together. A couple babies is one thing... a constant supply would suck . I keep several sub species of box turtles, so I am giving you my experience on how I keep mine.
Yep, they all swim, even this strange one.......DSCN2630.JPG oops, the link is under this picture......

DSCN2630.JPG http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-care-sheet.93937/

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
I don't believe they are wet enough. I'm not too concerned about UVB as box turtles can get what they need from a good varied diet of fruit and protein, provided they DO get a good diet. Are the males constantly mating the females? Please read this care sheet about food and housing. I don't believe that table is big enough for 6 box turtles, it's too dry and I, personally, don't keep my males and females box turtles together. A couple babies is one thing... a constant supply would suck . I keep several sub species of box turtles, so I am giving you my experience on how I keep mine.
Yep, they all swim, even this strange one.......View attachment 186770 oops, the link is under this picture......

View attachment 186770 http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-care-sheet.93937/
Thank you and I welcome your advice. We will work on getting them seperated. The males pretty much leave the females alone. Lester was in some kind of accident or something. He is missing part of his tail, also his left foot and three toes on his left front. He stays pretty much to himself except at night he likes to tuck in with one of the others.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Maggie I totally disagree with you about UVB, UVB Lighting is essential for Box turtles to process calcium in captivity. Without UVB lighting turtles will develop serious health problems such as Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD), abnormal shell growth and other deformities. UVB Lighting should be left on for 10-12 hours per day and turned off at night.

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
So ya'll suspect it's either the lighting and / or too dry. We will get this fixed immediately. I appreciate your speedy response and input. We want to keep these turtles happy and healthy for a long time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Box turtles, in fact any of the turtles and tortoises that eat animal protein, get some vitamin d3 from their food. So having a UVB light isn't quite as important as it would be with a turtle or tortoise that only eats greens.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Yes and I do agree it's also dry. My group spend a lot of time in the water, they soak themselves pretty regularly and I also soak them a few times a week.