more help please

M

Maggie Cummings

Maggie I totally disagree with you about UVB, UVB Lighting is essential for Box turtles to process calcium in captivity. Without UVB lighting turtles will develop serious health problems such as Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD), abnormal shell growth and other deformities. UVB Lighting should be left on for 10-12 hours per day and turned off at night.

No argument, BUT my box turtles spend all day from 8 am to 6 pm, outside. I feel 10 hours of UVB daily from the sun is just as good as a 100 watt UVB light that costs $45, the sun and the calcium supplements are enough for healthy animals. Besides you all know I do things differently, it works for me and them. They will have a Powersun 100 watt UVB light in the 7 months of winter....Make you happy now???:<3:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
I don't believe they are wet enough. I'm not too concerned about UVB as box turtles can get what they need from a good varied diet of fruit and protein, provided they DO get a good diet. Are the males constantly mating the females? Please read this care sheet about food and housing. I don't believe that table is big enough for 6 box turtles, it's too dry and I, personally, don't keep my males and females box turtles together. A couple babies is one thing... a constant supply would suck . I keep several sub species of box turtles, so I am giving you my experience on how I keep mine.
Yep, they all swim, even this strange one.......View attachment 186770 oops, the link is under this picture......

View attachment 186770 http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-care-sheet.93937/
Thats a beautiful box turtle :)

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
A vitamin A deficiency will also cause puffy eyes. It is highly unlikely that it is due to lack of artificial UVB lighting, especially since you have not had them that long. If you are soaking them and adding water to the substrate frequently, I doubt dryness is the issue.

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
A vitamin A deficiency will also cause puffy eyes. It is highly unlikely that it is due to lack of artificial UVB lighting, especially since you have not had them that long. If you are soaking them and adding water to the substrate frequently, I doubt dryness is the issue.
What do you suggest I give them that will give them the vitamins they need? Is the a vitamin that has all the ones they need like a daily vitamin?

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
They usually get fruit with reptomin in the morning and either night crawlers or grasshoppers in the evening. Anything we find out in the yard. Beetles and crickets etc.
Based on this diet description I would say vitamin A deficiency is the issue.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
What do you suggest I give them that will give them the vitamins they need? Is the a vitamin that has all the ones they need like a daily vitamin?
Butternut squash and carrots are excellent sources of vitamin A.

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
I agree with that 100%! I was just putting out other things that I could see wrong until the diet was posted. That diet posted definitely needs a bigger variety

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=17+1797&aid=2589
Ok if this is the case and please forgive me if I sound ignorant on the subject, but bare in mind I am. Her eye isn't swollen but was matted shut with a a thin slime. Once I rinsed it it looked perfectly normal. She ate and tooled around the pen a bit before going to bed. Is that the same thing your talking about.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It could just be a one-off due to something in the eye. I had that panic with Joe a couple of weeks ago. Eye was pretty gunky, but I bathed it and there's been no recurrence - fingers crossed!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
It could just be a one-off due to something in the eye. I had that panic with Joe a couple of weeks ago. Eye was pretty gunky, but I bathed it and there's been no recurrence - fingers crossed!

Yea it could be that too, Keep soaking daily for a while and try changing the diet, get some outside time if possible for UVB or artificial lighting. All the things everyone has suggested will help in the long run as well.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
It does look a little dry and so does the substrate. Like Maggie suggested maybe spray down that mulch to keep it a little more damp and that's a beautiful turtle

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Thank you so much. All advice is much appreciated.

No problem, that's why I love this site. So many knowledgeable people and everyone can point out so many different things that will help. Stick around and show pictures and just enjoy this forum.

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree totally, except, they are NOT getting soaked enough, she says "she does it when she can". The whole table looks too dry. Box turtles 'think' they are semi aquatic and if allowed will spend most of their time in the water. If inside, soaking, if outside, swimming.
This is my bad that I also did not consider the lack of Vit A. You are very correct and I personally don't think their diet is good enough to offset the lack of UVB, either light or sun, heck a few hours a week is all they need, more is better, but a minimum of sun is better than none at all. And I gave her a link to a care sheet for a better diet.
But I obviously keep my box turtles different than others. Oh, this is a picture of the outside pen for them, and in the bottom pix there's 4 box turtles doing their thing, betcha can't find all 4 :)

DSCN2625.JPG DSCN2624.JPG