Moving Tortoise Need Help

Djg

I'm relocating my Sulcatta from Ca to AZ I've had her since a hatching she is now about 85 pounds and 20 yrs old
My dilemma is my yard in AZ is filled with fruit trees on all sides
I'm think inking the safest is the side with oranges
The other side has lemon grapefruit and tangerine
( I know)
Well because the fruit will drop at times will my tortoise eat it??? Will this be a health issue???
Any thoughts????

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
your tortoise will more than likely eat the drop the fruit there are opportunities after all. At your tortoises size fruit now and then shouldn't hurt it.I wish it wasn't citrus fruit I'm not sure what a lot of citrus fruit will do 2 a tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's just going to keep you busy raking up the fallen fruit, that's all. One or two bites isn't going to harm the tortoise, and maybe ever deter him once he gets the tart peel in his mouth.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think it will be difficult for your tortoise to take a bite of a full orange. We have an orange tree but it barely creates any fruit. I don't recall there ever being any oranges on the ground. Charlie eats some of the plums that fall on the ground. Those are usually squished enough that he can get a bite.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe eats windfall apples if he gets a chance. They're Bramley cooking apples - very large and really sour - but he likes them. He takes advantages of bits pecked out by the birds to eat them.

Apples are not good for Joe, nor are the cherries that fall earlier in the year. I rake up as many as I can to keep him off them - the number of cherry stones in his poop shows whether or not I have been successful. Fortunately the cherry season is short.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Joe eats windfall apples if he gets a chance. They're Bramley cooking apples - very large and really sour - but he likes them. He takes advantages of bits pecked out by the birds to eat them.

Apples are not good for Joe, nor are the cherries that fall earlier in the year. I rake up as many as I can to keep him off them - the number of cherry stones in his poop shows whether or not I have been successful. Fortunately the cherry season is short.
cherries and apples? I think I'm going to move in with Joe

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I completely forgot about the skin of the oranges, it doesn't taste very good so it may deter him from eating a lot

LDRANCH

Simi Valley, CA
I have an orange tree in my yard and my Charlie shows absolutely no interest in the wind fall fruit. I think that it doesn't smell right to him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm relocating my Sulcatta from Ca to AZ I've had her since a hatching she is now about 85 pounds and 20 yrs old
My dilemma is my yard in AZ is filled with fruit trees on all sides
I'm think inking the safest is the side with oranges
The other side has lemon grapefruit and tangerine
( I know)
Well because the fruit will drop at times will my tortoise eat it??? Will this be a health issue???
Any thoughts????

If your tortoise eats those things while you are away at work, it very well could be a problem. I wouldn't put her there. Can you replace the fruit trees with mulberry trees? Much better shade and the leaves are great tortoise food too.

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
Hi there we have tangerine and grapefruit trees. My guy won't eat the fruit BUT he will eat leaves and they give him a terribly leaky stool and he even occasionally chokes on the grapefruit leaves. I have netting to catch the leaves now. Those leaves are terrible for my guy!