Mushy egg or something else

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
A detail I should have given, I am in New York right now on Long Island so they must be kept indoors because it is prohibitively cold outside. I had to come to NY for an extended stay a little over a year ago and had no choice but to take her with me. We will be returning to Orlando in the coming months, and I will attempt to move her outside and take your hide box suggestions for when I return. Although I had previously kept her in a large indoor enclosure even in Florida mostly, since my property is just a matter of feet from a large forest with many predators, hawks, vultures, owls, bears, bobcats, racoons, you name it; it will take some serious predator-proofing for me to be comfortable having her outside all the time.

The eggs she laid last year were infertile and two of them were extremely hard and crystalline in appearance. I have heard of new mothers laying "slugs" or dud eggs their first time around so I too thought it was strange that they would be mushy like this after producing solid eggs, albeit some strange, last season.

All that being said, is this something that I should be concerned about for her health? Do you think I should take her to a vet and get her x-rayed? Since she laid many solid eggs last season and none this year, my neuroticism has be obsessing that she may be eggbound, but I don't know how normal it is for them to skip a year and not lay. Do they reabsorb eggs like some monitors can?

Thank you Tom, Yvonne, Wellington, along with everyone else for the replies. I've lurked here for a few years to get information and have often read and taken advice from all your posts to others, so it's nice to finally chat a bit.
Everyone lives near those same predators. We all have to take precautions.

Is this female with a male? Does she have a place in the indoor enclosure to lay eggs?

Her size doesn't seem unusual to me. There are likely some SA genetics in the mix, but these are not full SA leopards.

2004???!!! Holy cow. I'm getting old. I was listening to that album when it came out in 1982. I've always loved the cover art, but it took on even more significance when I become a falconer.

Last edited: