MVB only bulb???

Tort1419

Here is a pic of my enclosure. It's a big one. Do I only need one light a MVB one end of the enclosure. Or do I need more UVB lights throughout the enclosure

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tort1419

It is an L with symmetrical sides. 7.5 by 2.5. So a total of 31.25 square feet. It is going to be a Russian tortoise hopefully between juvenile and adult age

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
The MVB will provide UVB and heat. You wouldn't need any other lights unless you need additional heat in the other other side.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You can let your tortoise's behavior and activity guide you. If he only hangs out under the UVB & the other side is dark, you need more light.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
A single mvb is almost never enough light for a properly sized enclosure. A single bulb for uvb should be sufficient but you'll need more lighting sources for general/ambient light.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I was referring to light, but you may need additional heating elements as well depending on temperature.

Tort1419

Ok well the light in the room we are keeping him will be on for like 12 hours. So light isn't a problem. Heat I will see after I get the enclosure. But my biggest concern is uv. One UVB bulb is that really enough. What if he spends most of his days in the other part of the enclosure. Then he only bask for like 30 minutes. (Under the MVB) @jaizei

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If it's a 'good' mvb, then that might be enough. Using uv meters to check your bulb might give you some reassurance. You see a lot of suggestions that you need hours of exposure under a mvb to equal 20 minutes of real sunshine but I don't believe that. The idea that artificial uvb is inherently "weaker" than sunlight is dangerous.

Tort1419

So I just need uv in with the basking light. It doesn't have to surround the whole enclosure

Tort1419

Hey @Tom for this enclosure can I just use a MVB as a basking lamp and a uv lamp. So like @Jodie said I won't have to use any other lights unless for heat. Which means I only need one bulb for uv??????? Because I keep thinking that one bulb for uv isn't enough