My cactus garden as of 5/5/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Nicely done Yvonne.

I need some help trying to get a succulent garden going. I propagated a lot of stuff a few months ago, and it doesn't seem to be doing too well. The cuttings still look alive, but they are very shriveled and don't grow well.

I usually cut and leave it alone for a few days to let it callous over then put it in the ground or in some potting soil. I water it once a week. Maybe it just needs more time? We're very dry and warm this time of year...maybe more water?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The best time here in the Calif. Central Valley to propagate cactus cuttings is in July and August. So if its hot and dry there now, I would think this is a good time. You can try keeping the soil around the base of the cutting a bit more moist, but not wet. What I mean is, wet it a bit when you see it has dried. Once the roots start and the shriveled look goes away, then wait a while before watering again.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
emysemys said:
Just plant them. And don't water very much.

I'll never forget...one time a long time ago I went to the Jr. Museum for a visit. In the gravel driveway was a shriveled up old dried up pad from an opuntia...just laying flat (all curled up because it was dry) on the driveway. I picked it up to move it out of the way so a kid with bare feet wouldn't step on it, and it had roots coming out the bottom (actually the side, but it was laying on its side). They are very easy to grow.
Sometimes they refuse to give up.I found this piece today, it is from some that I cut last Oct, no roots but new growth.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Can you sprout the ones you buy at the Market? if their that easy, I just might have to plant my own and I have about 3lbs of them in the 'fridge....and quite a few plantpots with soil and old dry plants!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes you can. They start easier when its quite hot and dry out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's the agave this a.m. Buds are forming:

agave5-9-12a.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well...I put the soaker hose out last night in a long line to soften and wet the ground...here in awhile I am going yo go and dig a hole for each...I figure I put about 1/3 of the cactus into the ground and place the dirt back around it right? I figure I will be sunburned by the time I do...oh about thirty pads.....I am hot and tired already just at the thought...lol...

Akronic

5 Year Member
acrantophis said:
Great pics! I have a succulent garden as well. That agave of yours looks like its going to throw up a dramatic flower!

are those San Pedro i see?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I DO have a couple of San Pedros, but they don't show up in any of the pictures in this thread. What you are probably seeing are the Cereus peruvianus and the Cereus peruvianus monstrose.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That is a very impressive garden. Please post a picture when that big Agave palmeri
(?) flowers. I have never seen anything like it...ever. To me it looks like a really big asparagus.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
chase thorn said:
I have always been into the hobby of growing succulents and cacti!

Cactus and succulents were my passion before I got into turtles and tortoises. So I had quite an extensive collection and knew the latin names of all of them. But little-by-little I've exchanged one passion for another, and have forgotten most of the names of my plants. I still have quite a nice selection of Euphorbias, crassulas and sanseverias, but I'm afraid the turtles and tortoises have taken me over.

Akronic

5 Year Member
so Peruvian.....would that be the cousin of the San Pedro known and the Peruvian Torch?

ive have a couple "trips" w/ both of those species of cacti. now if i can just get my Lophophora to sprout and wait 25-30yrs maybe i'll have few buttons.

I own all three vaireties San Pedro, P. Torch and Bridgessi (*sp)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, I believe the Peruvian torch is in the echinopsis family. The peruvianus is a Cereus...totally different family.

I have a Lophophora jourdaniana. It blooms but has never set pups.

Akronic

5 Year Member
I have lophophora williamsii.......just the seeds, but ive got a few diff regions. all are for spiritual ceremonial spirit quests

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I took several more pictures of the bloom on the agave. The oldest pictures are first, with the last two pictures having been taken this a.m. The lower blooms are fully opened now, and there's not much of a "flower" but the bees love it:

agave-1.jpg

agave-2.jpg

agave-3.jpg

agave-4.jpg

And a few more odds and ends of flowers:

cactus-5hoya.jpg

cactus-4.jpg

cactus-6.jpg

cactus-2.jpg

cactus-1.jpg

cactus-3.jpg

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
I was wondering which opuntia is the big one in the picture? I have an eastern prickly pear, a Cerus castus of some sort I've had since I was about four or so, I also have yucca filamentosa. My Tia Dora has an Indian fig cactus and one of their neighbors has a huge Engelmann's cactus or Texas prickly pear. I also have a variegated Agave americana, snake plant, zz plant, climbing aloe and a purple form African milk tree. My wife says my plants are weird, but I guess that goes with being married to me (I'm a bit eclectic or possibly excentric).

Status
Not open for further replies.