Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This first shot is just to show you the elevation:
05-05-12a.jpg

In this shot, the cable TV attachment on the pole is at 20 feet. And even though the perspective is a little off because the plant is about 10' away from the pole and closer to me with the camera, it still shows the flower spike on the agave to be about 18' tall so far. I was kind of bummed when I saw that the agave was going to bloom, as I cut off the pups as they form. Agaves bloom, then the mother plant dies, leaving the pups to carry on. But, no pups on this plant.
05-05-12b.jpg

And the far end of the garden. The opuntia is blooming nicely.
05-05-12c.jpg

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Very nice! I've been thinking about starting a cactus garden myself (or at least succulents.) Of course on a smaller scale!

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Great pics! I have a succulent garden as well. That agave of yours looks like its going to throw up a dramatic flower!

Attachments

• image-2940605081.png
    image-2940605081.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 46

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Beautiful....Yvonne my cousin just brought over about three big pieces covered in pads that her work was tearing down for new construction....so I have them laying out front and am going to cut the pads off to smaller sections and then want to plant them....they have likely been drying for a week...should I soak them first then plant them or should I simply plant them???? I have not had opportunity to plant pads here before...so wanna see if I can gain your insight...:p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just plant them. And don't water very much.

I'll never forget...one time a long time ago I went to the Jr. Museum for a visit. In the gravel driveway was a shriveled up old dried up pad from an opuntia...just laying flat (all curled up because it was dry) on the driveway. I picked it up to move it out of the way so a kid with bare feet wouldn't step on it, and it had roots coming out the bottom (actually the side, but it was laying on its side). They are very easy to grow.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ok...will do...I feel so bad for them because they are laying out in the sun and they bloomed sometime between last night and this afternoon.....so in the ground they will go ...all tomorrow ....and thank you :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am sorry to say, those pictures just do not do those cactus justice. I remember being so awed by your cactus, when I saw them in person. Question, why do you remove the pups?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was trying to grow a beautiful specimen plant. When you leave the pups it looks messy and the mother plant doesn't get as big.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
gotcha. So do you have any of her pups growing elsewhere?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, I have a couple more in behind that big mess on the front of the first picture.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The agave hasn't started to bloom yet, but its forming a bud (I think):

agave.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.