My leopard got bit in the eye :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
So I was watching my leopard in his outdoor enclosure eating a hibiscus petal then all of a sudden he starts running off really fast. I pick him up and I notice his right eye closed. I look at the petal and I see some ants on it. I think an ant bit his eye. What should I do? I'm not sure what kind of ant it was. I think they are normal.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Torts have a pretty good reflex....plus eyelids~;)
It is possible he might have just gotten an irritant in it. Usually they will work it out on its own ....a good deep soaking helps too. Keep an eye out ( no pun intended) on him and check for swelling ect. in the next few days ....also you may try a simple saline wash to help ease the discomfort....Most of all keep clean and try not to mess with im too much and stay low key .
This is a common factor( eye injury ) during breeding season for RF's and Cherrys....alot of the time the male likes to nibble/bite on the females head neck and eye areas during mating . Like mentioned they are pretty accustomed to closing their eyes before the " danger zone" .

JD~:)

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
N2TORTS said:
It is possible he might have just gotten an irritant in it. Usually they will work it out on its own ....a good deep soaking helps too. Keep an eye out ( no pun intended) on him and check for swelling ect. in the next few days ....also you may try a simple saline wash to help ease the discomfort....Most of all keep clean and try not to mess with im too much and stay low key .
This is a common factor( eye injury ) during breeding season for RF's and Cherrys....alot of the time the male likes to nibble/bite on the females head neck and eye areas during mating . Like mentioned they are pretty accustomed to closing their eyes before the " danger zone" .

Thx JD! actually hes alright now. He kept scratching it for awhile but he soon opened it up and started eating again ha

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
DrewsLife727 said:
N2TORTS said:

Thx JD! actually hes alright now. He kept scratching it for awhile but he soon opened it up and started eating again ha

^5 .... Good Deal !

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am glad your tort is good.....

I have the old man here (Humphry CDT) and he has just about zero sight in one eye and not the best sight in his good eye, he once was out grazing in his old yard and ran right up on an ant hole (not raised or anything) and he sat there apparently and started to munch...well, about that time I came out to fetch him and found his bad eye had three of those big black ants on it and two had a bite on the eyeball...poor old man never new what hit him....so I had to start slowly hosing his head and body until the ant released and backed off....ba*(#rds....and in a day or two he had it right back open and the eye ball itself looked fine (to my visual inspection anyways).....

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
ascott said:
I am glad your tort is good.....

I have the old man here (Humphry CDT) and he has just about zero sight in one eye and not the best sight in his good eye, he once was out grazing in his old yard and ran right up on an ant hole (not raised or anything) and he sat there apparently and started to munch...well, about that time I came out to fetch him and found his bad eye had three of those big black ants on it and two had a bite on the eyeball...poor old man never new what hit him....so I had to start slowly hosing his head and body until the ant released and backed off....ba*(#rds....and in a day or two he had it right back open and the eye ball itself looked fine (to my visual inspection anyways).....

oh wow! i hope my little guy isnt blind now in that eye :(

Status
Not open for further replies.