My plan... thoughts needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham, U.K
So considering this is the only thing keeping me going right now, I thought i'd share it and hopefully you can give me your ideas and opinions :)

Next year I am considering making my tortoise collecting quite a bit larger. So here was my plan. Just remember I'm not planning this till next year when I know more.

Anyway i have enough space to create quite a large, insulated, heated shed and outdoor area. (Including a small pool/water area)
My dad can build a large shed and insulate it all. I will put UVA/UVB heat bulbs in there for the cold winter days when coming outside is not available. I was thinking of a window or two near the roof to let natural light in instead if you think thats a good idea?
Then the outdoor area, well my auntie is a garden designer. So we would design and build it together. I was going to plant lots of edible weeds, grass and plants. Then put in a small "pond" for water. Lots of places to explore and get out of each others way.
There would be a big fence and gate which was dog and cat proof. So hopefully will keep out any other unwanted animals as well :)

The tortoises I was planning on keeping were... well i'll give you two guesses ;)
Leopards, naturally.
I was thinking of 3 to 4 females and a male.

I was planning on getting another tortoise beginning of next year. Squirt will have a small temp run for next year whilst we build the outdoor bit and the shed.
Obviously she'll have to be a bit bigger and older to go out there and i wouldn't expect her to live alone out there.

It'll take me a couple of years to find the right tortoises to add to my collection so that gives me plenty of time to learn lots and make everything just right.

So... what do you think?
Be honest. If you think i'd be better off getting Hermanns, sulcatas or something instead than say. After all i live in england and the winters can be quite harsh, so i completely understand if you think leopards won't suit this climate or being kept like this. I'll still keep Squirt but she'll get her own outside bit and come in in winter and then i'll have my little group in the plan above.

Oh and i plan on breeding whatever i get :)
I get great satisfaction and joy reading about everyone elses babies, so goodness knows what i'll be like when i manage to get my own.

Anyway if you all ok it, i'm going to start drawing up plans and discussing it with my dad and everyone.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I think it's a good plan and it's good your thinking long term instead of right away...

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
It sound's great. I am sorry for what you are dealing with right now.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Thanks everyone. :)
My OH has just told me today he wants to invest in my tortoise hobby and is going to help with setting it up and even buy me a tortoise :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
There is one major area I would change... the number of tortoises. I would be adding one more male. Life has a funny way of trowing curve balls. How sad it would be to go to all this trouble and finally when everything is in place, lose your lone male. That would mean several months, minimum of a setback.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Jacqui said:
There is one major area I would change... the number of tortoises. I would be adding one more male. Life has a funny way of trowing curve balls. How sad it would be to go to all this trouble and finally when everything is in place, lose your lone male. That would mean several months, minimum of a setback.

My only concern about 2 males is fighting. I'd hate for them to fight and hurt each other.
Do you think fighting would be a problem?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Not if you have a large enough enclosure, plenty of visual barriers and the such. I would make sure to include in your plans an enclosure to remove anybody who has issues/who is sick/who is new and an enclosure for your hatchlings, too.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
I'll put up some drawings ive done in a bit. Am planning on having my spare room as incubation room with vivarium and tables for hatchlings and ones that aren't big enough to go outside :)
Someones kindly donated me a massive vivarium, perfect for keeping the babies warm and humid :)

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Yea. My parents have been here for over 20 years. (I've lived here my whole life apart from the couple of years I lived in York!)
I'm not planning on moving out any time soon. Got at least another 2 years (probably more, depends how qualified I want to be) before I'm qualified to do my job and even then when I can do my job it'll be hard for the first year or so to find business :) plus I plan on getting as much experience as possible whilst doing my training.

So yep, plan on being in this house for a long long time yet.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Looking forward to enclosure designs! I am planning on a more permanent outdoor enclosure with a heated area as well, as I plan to leave this place feet first...

Status
Not open for further replies.