My Sulcata Tortoises

uptown

5 Year Member
Hi I am new to the Forum and I would like to show some pictures of my tortoises and some info on them... I have 8 Sulcata Tortoises 2 being Sudanese Sulcatas.. Their names are Pumpkin, Mystery, Coconut, Latte, Pickles, Bulldozer, Cinnamon, and Adventurer and I live in NY...

ef12ed3dd52364d5fd0fca75a905c774.jpg

This is Pumpkin his Birthday is 6/30/15, I got him from a local exotic pet shop and he weighs 2599g

54c2c448c6dce1a796c2b67113de8b9d.jpg

This is Mystery he is a Sudanese Sulcata I got from ATC and his Birthday is 8/19/15 and he weighs 3567g

5ada6a98d51b2f0dd71f3bdd6d29fbee.jpg

This is Coconut and he came from a reptile show and his Birthday is 10/1/15 and he weighs 400g

d51e17c1d9ee108a141b7dd00a431b1d.jpg

This is Latte and his Birthday is 10/17/15 and weighs 550g and came from ATC and he had minor Pyramiding when he came

c7e0bdb466c53eb632333331d866eefd.jpg

This is Pickles his birthday is 10/17/15 and he also came from ATC and weighs 600g and he also came with minor Pyramiding

4e6d41e1801a7c93b75ea8d7d178e814.jpg

This is Bulldozer he is a Sudanese Sulcata too, his Birthday is 10/15/16 he weighs 100g

0c46a7ad3385032e4b0e2bc07d2fdace.jpg

This is Cinnamon and his Birthday is 10/20/16 and he weighs 70g

77ee9bb0fde92a6690e8ba4cc436e2cb.jpg

And this is Adventurer he came from my local exotic pet store and he hatched 10/31/16 and he weighs 64g

uptown

5 Year Member
I'm Living with my mom for now but I am moving to California in the future, they have their own room right now I let them wander a couple times a day for a hour or so, they all live in separate enclosures...

uptown

5 Year Member
They are lifetime raised garden beds they are 4ft by 4ft (here is a picture of when I only had one enclosure up but now I have 7 I'll get a picture of the whole room in a minute) one tortoise in each enclosure except for 2 babies they are together

1478475174330.jpg

uptown

5 Year Member
It's not that hard to keep them in NY not as hard as people think, when summer is here they go out everyday for 4 hours and they don't like being outside anyway so they don't care

uptown

5 Year Member
Another picture of Mystery, My Sudanese ♡♡

Attachments

• 1478479106067.jpg
    1478479106067.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 50
M

Maggie Cummings

They don't like being outside now because they are babies. It's your job to teach them. I have a 2 yr old who takes himself for a swim every morning. 49 degrees today. I don't feed him, he grazes all day, rain, cold or not. So I believe you can keep Sulcata in cold weather. I live in the PacificNorthwest with 4 Sulcata. I had one that was 125 pounds who went out and grazed thru the ice or snow. But he was set up especially for the snowy weather. Grown Sulcata need a LOT of exercise, (well so do babies) in the wild they walk as much as 20 miles eating here and there.
I hope you're getting a few acres in Calif....good luck and welcome

uptown

5 Year Member
I am aware of how big they get and how much space they need and it won't be a while before I move to California because I am only 17 but they have a big enough room for a while and I could always have our outdoor building heated, I was planning on getting an aldabra but I waiting until I move...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Another picture of Mystery, My Sudanese ♡♡

I can't imagine tortoises not liking the outside unless it's too cold for them. You know that Sudanese grow much bigger and faster that other sulcatas, right? When are you planning on moving to California?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
wow, I'm impressed! I was going to ask how you were going to be taking care of them in NY when they got big. My daughter lives there and someday she may end up with Charlie. (I rather hope one of my California children will take him though!)

Do you know where in California you are going to settle?

uptown

5 Year Member
I can't imagine tortoises not liking the outside unless it's too cold for them. You know that Sudanese grow much bigger and faster that other sulcatas, right? When are you planning on moving to California?

I used to bring them outside in 90° weather when it was summer and they just sat in one spot didn't move and as soon as they went inside they were walking around and exploring and eating then as soon as they go outside they are statues.. I Plan on moving in a couple years

uptown

5 Year Member
wow, I'm impressed! I was going to ask how you were going to be taking care of them in NY when they got big. My daughter lives there and someday she may end up with Charlie. (I rather hope one of my California children will take him though!)

Do you know where in California you are going to settle?

I don't know where im still looking at houses and stuff, I been looking for houses with lots of land because I plan on getting an aldabra, I almost bought one last week but I decided it would be best to wait...

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I don't know where im still looking at houses and stuff, I been looking for houses with lots of land because I plan on getting an aldabra, I almost bought one last week but I decided it would be best to wait...

That's impressive for a 17 year old. College plans after high school?

uptown

5 Year Member
That's impressive for a 17 year old. College plans after high school?

My mom helps a lot, she owns a dog grooming and pet motel place I work at but I still haven't decided yet but I was planning on being a flight attendant but I'm still deciding on everything because if I do become a flight attendant I would need someone to look after my tortoises when I am gone, so there's a lot of planning still to do but I will work it out :) I absolutely love my tortoises and will do anything for them ♡♡

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Speedy loves being outside even in the cool mornings we are having , he is sitting in front of the door waiting on me to drop his ramp so he can get about his Tort business !

uptown

5 Year Member
Speedy loves being outside even in the cool mornings we are having , he is sitting in front of the door waiting on me to drop his ramp so he can get about his Tort business !

I wish mine did hopefully next year they will be better about it...

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Heck, i like how you are trying to put everything sort out. keep update on your plan.