My Sulcata Tortoises

uptown

5 Year Member
Our lot size is between 1/2 acre and 1/4 acre. The house and front yard, which Charlie doesn't have access to, take up a lot of room. So I'd say he has less than 5000 square feet. I feel that is ample. When you have several tortoises, you'll want to be able to give them separate enclosures. If those enclosures are right next to each other and they can see or hear each other, that could cause problems so you should take that into account.

Your pigs are adorable.

Land in California is very expensive. There are areas that aren't quite as bad but I think it is still more than most of the rest of the country. You'd probably want to avoid the Northern part because of the weather. I agree, Florida is probably the easiest place to raise tortoises. Your dogs wouldn't do well in the heat.
Yes I agree about my dogs in the heat they are always hot here even in the winter so they might stay behind
:( , but I don't really care about how much the land and house cost as long as my animals will like it and they definitely are going to stay separated, I don't want babies because I would keep them all I could never get rid of an animal I get to attached, that's another reason I Didn't want to leave NY because of the dogs but we will see on the dog situation

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Yes I agree about my dogs in the heat they are always hot here even in the winter so they might stay behind
:( , but I don't really care about how much the land and house cost as long as my animals will like it and they definitely are going to stay separated, I don't want babies because I would keep them all I could never get rid of an animal I get to attached, that's another reason I Didn't want to leave NY because of the dogs but we will see on the dog situation
Be careful with your emotions. I know what it feels like to be attached to your animals. But stuff happens, and an animal may get sick, lost, hurt, or even die. You'll be a mess and then you'll be no good to your other animals. We're only human, and.as such, we have breaking points. You've got a lot of animals. Your tortoises are absolutely beautiful. Frankly, I couldn't do what you're doing. I don't have the emotional stamina. I have four sulcatas. One of them belongs to a couple and I'm caring for him cause they're in Japan right now. I'll have to return him in three years. I know I'll be an emotional basket case when that time comes. Also, I have a "special needs" tortoise that recently broke through the cement block wall I built. She was lost for 19 hours and spent the night in 59 degree weather. I thought I was gonna have a heart attack because I was so sick worrying about her life! I can't do anymore animals. I get too attached and I don't know how to deal with disaster. So, you're young, but having so many to love and care for is emotionally stressful. Take care of yourself.

uptown

5 Year Member
I have an update..... I found a house in Florida with 4 acres but the land has so many hills and they are steep and found one in California with 10 acres, I'm still deciding though...

uptown

5 Year Member
Update on there weighs also
Pumpkin is at 4000g

Mystery is at 5589g

Coconut is at 500g

Latte is at 800g

Pickles is at 1000g

Bulldozer Is at 350g I CANT BELIEVE IT

Cinnamon is at 150g

Adventurer is at 120g

uptown

5 Year Member
And so far they all look Male,, I can't believe how much they weigh for only being "babies"

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I can't imagine tortoises not liking the outside unless it's too cold for them. You know that Sudanese grow much bigger and faster that other sulcatas, right? When are you planning on moving to California?
I agree with the fact that torts prefer it outside unless it's cold of course. I've noticed how Oli roams around HAPPILY when I take him out for a so-called "walk" in the warm/striking sun of Amman.

uptown

5 Year Member
I agree with the fact that torts prefer it outside unless it's cold of course. I've noticed how Oli roams around HAPPILY when I take him out for a so-called "walk" in the warm/striking sun of Amman.
They never liked it out for some reason in the summer it was 95 but they still didn't want any part of it now they are stuck in the house because it's 30°F out and snowing

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
They never liked it out for some reason in the summer it was 95 but they still didn't want any part of it now they are stuck in the house because it's 30°F out and snowing
What's the "solution" if that's the case?

uptown

5 Year Member
What's the "solution" if that's the case?
I have no idea I've always asked people but they just thought I was crazy because all tortoise love going outside but mine don't they try to hide or just sit in the same spot

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Don't worry. They'll like it when they are bigger, especially when there are lots of nice things to eat. Where in California is the 10 acres?

uptown

5 Year Member
Don't worry. They'll like it when they are bigger, especially when there are lots of nice things to eat. Where in California is the 10 acres?
I don't have all of the details yet my mom found it before she left for work and is waiting for a call back

uptown

5 Year Member
Mystery❤❤❤

Attachments

• 1481162815690.jpg
    1481162815690.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 21

BILBO-03

Could you post a picture of your room with all your sucaltas enclosures you said you had 7 garden beds I just wanted to see what it looked like;)

uptown

5 Year Member
Could you post a picture of your room with all your sucaltas enclosures you said you had 7 garden beds I just wanted to see what it looked like;)
Yes sorry I forgot I will take some pictures when I get home

uptown

5 Year Member
Pumpkin:
5300g

Mystery:
6712g

Coconut:
745g

Latte:
1200g

Pickles: