My Tortoise is acting weird, please help!

lemonbrains

Location (City and/or State)
Neverland
Hi guys. Please watch this video (
) of my baby 9-month-old Greek tortoise. The video was taken just took two minutes ago. He keeps making choking noises and cannot stop scratching its own face. HAs anyone else seen this behavior with their tortoises?

PLEASE ADVICE on what to do!!

Again, here is the link:

:(

lemonbrains

Neverland
UPDATE: I TOOK ANOTHER VIDEO.

He is now regurgitating some type of liquid!!!!!

Please note that there are no REPTILE vets where i live.

Does this behavior look dangerous???

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
) of my baby 9-month-old Greek tortoise. The video was taken just took two minutes ago. He keeps making choking noises and cannot stop scratching its own face. HAs anyone else seen this behavior with their tortoises?

Again, here is the link:

Hopefully someone who knows more than me will jump in here.
Is there a way you could look in his throat? Maybe someone else hold him, and look with a flashlight?

To me he looks like he's trying to get something out. Did he just eat?

Let me try to find more help for you.

lemonbrains

Neverland
Is there ANY possibility he ate something poisonous?
Or maybe a plant that isn't agreeing with him?

Hopefully he will be better after vomiting.

So he hasn't eaten anything yet! I have lettuce, kale, carrots, dandelion in his enclosure today (things he's been eating since December) and he didn't even touch his food yet! :(

I tried looking down his throat but it's all clear. Do you think it might be an itch or something?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
So he hasn't eaten anything yet! I have lettuce, kale, carrots, dandelion in his enclosure today (things he's been eating since December) and he didn't even touch his food yet! :(

I tried looking down his throat but it's all clear. Do you think it might be an itch or something?
Do you mean he hasn't eaten yet today? Or longer than that?

I don't think it's an itch...I think trying to get something up or an upset stomach.

Are you on the west coast of the USA? Unfortunately most people are asleep. I'm watching for more experienced members.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Again, here is the link:

What was the tortoise doing right before? How long have you had the tort? What is the day and night temps in the enclosure?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Can you show us pics of his enclosure please?
What substrate are you using?
Is there any chance he could have eaten some of that and it's got stuck?
Have you tried soaking him in shallow water to see if he wants to drink.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with something stuck in his mouth/throat.
I would soak him in warm water and I would try feeding him something mushy but thick to hopefully push it down. I'm thinking mashed strawberries, canned pure pumpkin, something along those lines that is thick but easy to just swallow, him not having to work at it like he would greens. Even pured baby foods. Just until he stops doing this and gets back too normal then feed a normal diet.
What substrate is he on? I would not use anything stringy or that has fine wood slivers.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
How is he? Any improvement?
If a vet is needed I think consulting a general vet any would be better than none.

lemonbrains

Neverland
Do you mean he hasn't eaten yet today? Or longer than that?

I don't think it's an itch...I think trying to get something up or an upset stomach.

Are you on the west coast of the USA? Unfortunately most people are asleep. I'm watching for more experienced members.

He was eating fine yesterday but didn't eat at all today. I heard weird noises coming from him in the morning, so i lifted him up and noticed he kept scratching his face. Alsoooo, I'm not in the US.

BTW thanks for your feedback!!

What was the tortoise doing right before? How long have you had the tort? What is the day and night temps in the enclosure?

He was sleeping right before I noticed this behavior (the lights were off). I've had him for about 6 months now. Day and night temps are between 80-90C.

Can you show us pics of his enclosure please?
What substrate are you using?
Is there any chance he could have eaten some of that and it's got stuck?
Have you tried soaking him in shallow water to see if he wants to drink.

So I actually built his enclosure last week and put sterilized sand in it (biggest mistake i made), and he ate some. But that was a week ago and he pooped it out and I changed his substrate to "top soil" since then. Also, I did soak him today in the morning and he just closed his eyes but didn't drink.

I agree with something stuck in his mouth/throat.
I would soak him in warm water and I would try feeding him something mushy but thick to hopefully push it down. I'm thinking mashed strawberries, canned pure pumpkin, something along those lines that is thick but easy to just swallow, him not having to work at it like he would greens. Even pured baby foods. Just until he stops doing this and gets back too normal then feed a normal diet.
What substrate is he on? I would not use anything stringy or that has fine wood slivers.

He is on top soil at the moment. And he won't eat anything!!!! :( I tried mashed fruits just now but he won't even open his mouth.

lemonbrains

Neverland
How is he? Any improvement?
If a vet is needed I think consulting a general vet any would be better than none.

UPDATE: So I just got back from my university now. He’s sleeping peacefully and doesn’t seem to be making the choking noise or scratching his face. I hope the behavior doesn't repeat tomorrow morning.

If the behavior repeats tomorrow morning, then I will take him to a cat vet in the city.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
UPDATE: So I just got back from my university now. He’s sleeping peacefully and doesn’t seem to be making the choking noise or scratching his face. I hope the behavior doesn't repeat tomorrow morning.

If the behavior repeats tomorrow morning, then I will take him to a cat vet in the city.
Hopefully all is well and stays that way.
Keep us posted.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Does he flinch when you touch his feet?
Just a way of checking that he is still alive.
Just make sure there are no white bits in the soil which he could eat.
Can you post a picture of his enclosure?
It is the only way to make sure you get the best help for you little tort.
There may be something unsafe him that you haven't spotted but more experienced members will .

lemonbrains

Neverland
Does he flinch when you touch his feet?
Just a way of checking that he is still alive.
Just make sure there are no white bits in the soil which he could eat.
Can you post a picture of his enclosure?
It is the only way to make sure you get the best help for you little tort.
There may be something unsafe him that you haven't spotted but more experienced members will .

Oh yes he's very much alive. I had to wake him up to feed him the mushy fruits that someone above in the comments suggested. He was disinterested in the food and went back to sleep.

Alright, I'll post a picture of the enclosure tomorrow when I'll be back home.

Thanks!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Oh yes he's very much alive. I had to wake him up to feed him the mushy fruits that someone above in the comments suggested. He was disinterested in the food and went back to sleep.

Thanks!
That's good!
Give a warm soak to see if he drinks and make sure he has fresh water.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Thanks!

Feeding and soaking are always most successful at the start of the day rather than the end. Give a good long soak in warm water first thing in the morning and offer food straight after.