My yearling died

AndreaWC

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
The little guy was doing great for the first 6 months I had him/her, but then stopped eating. I adjusted the heat in the habitat, made sure he looked hydrated, but he kept just going into a shady place and burrowing and not coming out to eat at all. He had shade, cool shade, warm shade, basking spot, water tray, food, spots to burrow or hide ... I really don't know what happened. I started doing some baby food soaks to see if I could get him eating, and he seemed to improve, was eating a bit, moving around, but then just died. I think food rotted in his gut and maybe I should have kept him in a smaller habitat until he got bigger, I don't know. I have an adult russian that is healthy and active and does great with similar conditions in his habitat, same diet, only problem with him is he doesn't eat enough of his pellets so I try to make sure I give a large variety of weeds/leaves etcetera. I just feel so bad about this young guy, I checked everything in his habitat over and over and it lined up perfectly so why did he die? I would like another greek but dont want to get one unless I figure out what happened with this guy.

I have three water turtles (african sidenecks) and two Ive had since they were less than an inch long, they are thriving and doing great, I guess I am feeling pretty glad they are healthy and made it through the tiny phase.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's too bad, Andrea...I'm so sorry. The only way to know what he died from is to have a necropsy done. It's no good guessing.

AndreaWC

Georgia
:( I really feel bad about it. I think I am just going to stick with Yasso (my russian tort) and use the other set up to grow weeds and stuff for him. I feel like that is plenty responsibility and I am very attached to him, he is a really funny guy.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The little guy was doing great for the first 6 months I had him/her, but then stopped eating. I adjusted the heat in the habitat, made sure he looked hydrated, but he kept just going into a shady place and burrowing and not coming out to eat at all. He had shade, cool shade, warm shade, basking spot, water tray, food, spots to burrow or hide ... I really don't know what happened. I started doing some baby food soaks to see if I could get him eating, and he seemed to improve, was eating a bit, moving around, but then just died. I think food rotted in his gut and maybe I should have kept him in a smaller habitat until he got bigger, I don't know. I have an adult russian that is healthy and active and does great with similar conditions in his habitat, same diet, only problem with him is he doesn't eat enough of his pellets so I try to make sure I give a large variety of weeds/leaves etcetera. I just feel so bad about this young guy, I checked everything in his habitat over and over and it lined up perfectly so why did he die? I would like another greek but dont want to get one unless I figure out what happened with this guy.

I have three water turtles (african sidenecks) and two Ive had since they were less than an inch long, they are thriving and doing great, I guess I am feeling pretty glad they are healthy and made it through the tiny phase.

Sometimes babies just don't make it.....even if we checklist their environment and all is well, they just simply do not make it. Rest in peace little :tort:

AndreaWC

Georgia
Thanks you guys, I feel pretty torn up about it. But I do have my healthy russian and he is a lot of fun, I am just going to invest all my sad-energy into making improvements for Yasso.