Need help making my case please reply

kball

So my cousin has a red foot and a Russian. She houses them together. (Which I would never do because of them being completely different kinds. I did not tell her to do this) she feeds them forest tortoise diet from zoo med and soaks them about once a week. There hatchlings. They r kept in a bathroom. It does stay warm but here is no uv light for them and they NEVER go out side. I need a please to vent and people to help me build my case to try to buy them off of her but I need to convince my mom that I can take them in. She thinks my room is already junked up and it is but I could do so much better with these that there getting. My cousins have about 50 rabbits 50chickens 15-20 cats. They just had a litter of five and went and got to more from The pound. It make me sick just thinking about it. Plus the dogs squirrels fish bird and who nos what else. What can I do to convens her to sell them to me and prove to my mom that I can do it. My cousin never sells anything ever so I'm going to need a strong case. I will even sell them after I get them healthy again. Some pics of tortoise and turtles that have had no uv light could be helpful to. I can't sleep at night thinking about this and they need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
That sounds like a case of hoarding. Which is a clinically diagnose physochigical issue. She's not hearing your plea for assististing her. She's hearing you shaming her for having them. They mentally block logical reasoning and grasp into something, in this case animals, to alleviate their underlying issue. Could be a history issue, death in the family, anything really that tramatized her. You need to get some serious help to her.

kball

She's 20 yrs and her mom lets her do this. I think i can get through to her if I'm gentle

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Sounds like these poor babys will live a bad life and die slowly. Sounds harsh but it is true. They NEED heat, uv, calcium, and a good diet to live. I took in a rescue tortoise that came from sim situation. I had to have him put to sleep after spending thousands, yes thousands, trying to save him and then for hours watching him fight to breath. It was one of the worst thing I have had to watch. So I feel for you and hope that you can save these poor babies in time. Show her some pictures of deformed tortoises....perhaps that will change her mind.

kball

I hope so. Or at least she can buy some uv bulbs and put them in different tanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Maybe try to educate her. Refer her to this site. At least you can offer to help improve their situation where they are.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:( This DOES sound like hoarding. I mean that's a lot of animals for someone who cares properly and is emotionally/financially invested in the proper care and keeping of their 'pets'. I hope you can convince her.

kball

I have showed her here about three or four time. and I think the last time she got mad. Avice pics and anything else will be greatly appreciated

kball

[eQUOTE="Yellow Turtle01, post: 903702, member: 32253"]:( This DOES sound like hoarding. I mean that's a lot of animals for someone who cares properly and is emotionally/financially invested in the proper care and keeping of their 'pets'. I hope you can convince her.[/QUOTE] me too

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
With the amount of animals you say she has there is definitely a psychological problem here, doing things that make her angry will only make the problem worse. It's going to take a lot more than making a "case" to make her realize what she is doing is both hurtful to herself and these animals she cares for.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I saw a documentary on hoarding a couple months ago. And I have known an animal hoarder personally. If allowed to, an animal hoarder will "reoffend" 100% of the time. There is no rationalizing with the person like this, get the authorities involved if you have to but know that it will just happen again if she does not get professional psychological help. And, unfortunately also know that she will not be happy with you no matter how much you care about her.

kball

U see I don't think she has a problem I think her mom has a problem and she lets her do this and she's been taught that this is ok all through her life. And she thinks it's ok

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
U see I don't think she has a problem I think her mom has a problem and she lets her do this and she's been taught that this is ok all through her life. And she thinks it's ok
Didn't you say she is 20? It sounds like her problem, not just her moms. She is not a child she is an adult. She is old enough to think for herself and she makes her own decisions. So if she is hoarding that is on her not mom. I wish you luck. I hope the torts can get better care!

kball

Didn't you say she is 20? It sounds like her problem, not just her moms. She is not a child she is an adult. She is old enough to think for herself and she makes her own decisions. So if she is hoarding that is on her not mom. I wish you luck. I hope the torts can get better care!

She lives with her mom and has been taught that it's ok

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
She lives with her mom and has been taught that it's ok
Yeah, I was taught things by my mom too. Like all of us. Once we are adults we need to think for ourselves and own up to our actions. Mom can't take the blame forever. :)

At any rate, it is the tortoises we need to concentrate on. It really is a sticky situation since it doesn't sound like they want to hand over the torts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First of all see if she'll let the animals go. No sense in working on your mom if you can't get the tortoises from this other person. If she will sell/give them to you, THEN start working on your mom. Can you set the tortoises up outside? That might be a good case-maker with your mom.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

kball

First of all see if she'll let the animals go. No sense in working on your mom if you can't get the tortoises from this other person. If she will sell/give them to you, THEN start working on your mom. Can you set the tortoises up outside? That might be a good case-maker with your mom.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Thank u