Need ID

Dawn'sTooToo

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
This tortoise was found in Western NC roaming in the mountains. Not sure if escapee or a release. Posted on various venues to find owner if possible. But in the mean time I’d like to provide appropriate care and food. Anyone able to ID species from this pic. It’s very scared and hisses if you get near so trying not to stress. Carapace is pretty scratched up (I assume from time on his own). Any help appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_1003.jpeg
    IMG_1003.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

zovick

10 Year Member!
This tortoise was found in Western NC roaming in the mountains. Not sure if escapee or a release. Posted on various venues to find owner if possible. But in the mean time I’d like to provide appropriate care and food. Anyone able to ID species from this pic. It’s very scared and hisses if you get near so trying not to stress. Carapace is pretty scratched up (I assume from time on his own). Any help appreciated
It is a Gopher Tortoise. Not native to NC, so very likely may have been picked up off the road in FL, GA, or SC (AL, MS, and LA also possible, but less likely) and later escaped or the person who found it tired of it and let it go.

It is illegal to take them from the wild in most if not all of the states where they occur. You should probably call your state Fish and Game or DEC to report finding it and determine out what to do with it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Zovick is probably correct, but without better pictures to me it sort of resembles a hingeback tortoise.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Zovick is probably correct, but without better pictures to me it sort of resembles a hingeback tortoise.
Yvonne, just to confirm my ID, when I zoom in on the photo I can see the area where the hinge would be, and there is none present. The facial shape is wrong for a hingeback and so are the scales on head and the front leg.

Dawn'sTooToo

North Carolina
It is a Gopher Tortoise. Not native to NC, so very likely may have been picked up off the road in FL, GA, or SC (AL, MS, and LA also possible, but less likely) and later escaped or the person who found it tired of it and let it go.

It is illegal to take them from the wild in most if not all of the states where they occur. You should probably call your state Fish and Game or DEC to report finding it and determine out what to do with it.
Thank you. ... If i took back to one of those states would it be humane/reasonable to release it or should it be kept in care? I'll def contact the Wildlife Commission here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you. ... If i took back to one of those states would it be humane/reasonable to release it or should it be kept in care? I'll def contact the Wildlife Commission here.
No, you can't release it into the wild. First you would not know where it's original home is and second, if it has been captive, which it must have been, releasing it could promote disease to the wild population. Plus I believe it would be illegal to do.
Either keep it or call the place Zovick mentioned. I would find out from them first though what they would do with him before giving up your name and address. If they have to means of caring for him or getting him back to a state that does, then they might just euthanize him.

Dawn'sTooToo

North Carolina

Is there a care sheet specific to Gopher Tortoise...I'm having a hard time finding.