JavaAndTurts

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Just bought a month old sulcata born may 26 he keeps his mouth open and kinda breaths weird. I have had turtles but never a tortoise but did do research and the lady told me that his mouth will be open because he is a month old and has to get those jaw muscles going. (I have never heard of that) so I need opinions it seems like he has a underbite aswell

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    846.3 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    881.9 KB · Views: 5

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They do open mouth breathing when the nasal passages are plugged (R.I?).

Babies move their front legs in and out when they breathe (perfectly normal).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just bought a month old sulcata born may 26 he keeps his mouth open and kinda breaths weird. I have had turtles but never a tortoise but did do research and the lady told me that his mouth will be open because he is a month old and has to get those jaw muscles going. (I have never heard of that) so I need opinions it seems like he has a underbite aswell
Hello and welcome.

That is absurd. He likely has a respiratory infection. Are you keeping him hot and humid? Over 80 degrees day and night and in a closed chamber?

Unfortunately, almost none of the people breeding this species start the babies correctly. Give these threads a read through for the correct care info:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome to the forum. Please try to follow the good advice given right here for your little one's best chance to survive. I don't like how his face looks in the pictures. The person you got him from told you foolishness!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know this may not be what you want to do, but I would return the tort and wait to buy from a reputable breeder that actually knows what they are doing, does it right and doesn't lie and give the buyer a line of crap.

JavaAndTurts

Oklahoma
He is super active right now I don’t see any bubbling of nose or mouth eyes look clear and bright I’m thinking it could be a birth defect he also has jagged “teeth” and a underbite let me get a good picture of his face

JavaAndTurts

Oklahoma
I don’t mind keeping him the lady didn’t charge me a whole bunch it was 100$ but I have had special needs reptiles before the turtle in my pfp was my box turtle that had dwarfism and didn’t grow more than 10 grams a year

Attachments

• IMG_5067.jpeg
    IMG_5067.jpeg
    699.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5068.jpeg
    IMG_5068.jpeg
    625.9 KB · Views: 1

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Always useful to have pictures. If his nostrils are blocked, then he is breathing through his open mouth.

JavaAndTurts

Oklahoma
I wish we could put videos on here because it’s hard to explain he is trying hard to eat it’s like his mouth can’t close all the way do you think he could be deficient in anything

Raquel1978

Swansea wales
I wish we could put videos on here because it’s hard to explain he is trying hard to eat it’s like his mouth can’t close all the way do you think he could be deficient in anything
Their does look like theirs something strange going on with his jaw,.. You can post videos I'm not completely sure myself how to think you have to upload to YouTube first..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You'll have to cut his food up into tiny pieces to help him eat. Looks like he has no 'bite.'

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can you inspect his skin and legs and see if you notice any yellowish bumps or any missing claws?