New African Sulcata 2 years old

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
The UV light came with no instructions honestly I read all through them. I just want to get the off gassing started for now if possible
Fair enough, that ok, is there at least a diagram of which way the clips go? If not I’ll get a photo of ours for you tomorrow😊

Yeah I understand wanting to start that process, once you’ve got a temporary fitting for the floodlight, you’ll be good to get going🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
That is definitely the right one yes, it should screw into one of the dome fittings you have already if you want to check and let us know? Let the bulb you’re taking out cool off first, once you can see it fits you’ll know you’re good to go on the day, unscrew it and put it into the temporary fitting you’ll use(the one you brought for the led should be ok, but if your worried that fitting isnt good for a hot baking bulb, maybe try and find a cheap ceramic fitting, @Alex and the Redfoot thoughts there?) to start the off gas process🙂let’s wait n see what Alex thinks for the test run with a bog standard led fitting👍

MandyV

Houston, Texas
That is definitely the right one yes, it should screw into one of the dome fittings you have already if you want to check and let us know? Let the bulb you’re taking out cool off first, once you can see it fits you’ll know you’re good to go on the day, unscrew it and put it into the temporary fitting you’ll use(the one you brought for the led should be ok, but if your worried that fitting isnt good for a hot baking bulb, maybe try and find a cheap ceramic fitting, @Alex and the Redfoot thoughts there?) to start the off gas process🙂let’s wait n see what Alex thinks for the test run with a bog standard led fitting👍
It does fit and it’s in the enclosure temporarily hung for now, I have the T5 light on the piece of timber I have the fitting for the led now as well

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
It does fit and it’s in the enclosure temporarily hung for now, I have the T5 light on the piece of timber I have the fitting for the led now as well
Yay awesome! Process is started😁you can play around with the temp gun to see what it’s reading directly under the bulb😊

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Also are there any specifics on where I need to place the lights other than height
So your basking light will be one end(doesn’t have to be right by the wall though) and hang your uv that end too👍 then your CHE will hang in the middle, the thermostat that the che is plugged into, the probe should be placed in the cooler end furthest from the basking light🙂

Should you discover you can’t quite keep the whole enclosure above 80 at night, you may want to install a second che in the warmer end, then had the second one hang a bit further toward the cooler end, but I have a feeling it’s going to be fine with one, we’ll play by here and start with the one you have first, the process is started either way now, you’ve got time to get these temps right👍

Your ambient light(the led) will also hang in the middle so it lights the entire enclosure, a nice bright space keeps a tortoise more active😊

Both the basking light and the led are going to be plugged into the same timer set for 12hrs(we personally have our lights go on 9am-9pm), the uv is going to be on it’s own separate timber for 4hours from noonish

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, you have been given great advice. Once you get the enclosure all set up. Start thinking about your outside enclosure. Also a large area outside thats escape proof. It won't be long before it is needed. Don't know if it was mentioned. Keep feeding the mazuri about 3 times a week. You can go to a latin market and buy some cactus pads. Start them in some pots until they start rooting good. Most sulcata's love them. Check your local feed and seed store for pasture seed. Plant some plots outside, when it gets long. Just cut with scissors and put on top of the mazuri. Once your tort gets used to eating. You can pile on a plate to eat. Once your sully is large enough. He can graze on it while outside. If this has already been covered here. Sorry for the repeat.

MandyV

Houston, Texas
Welcome, you have been given great advice. Once you get the enclosure all set up. Start thinking about your outside enclosure. Also a large area outside thats escape proof. It won't be long before it is needed. Don't know if it was mentioned. Keep feeding the mazuri about 3 times a week. You can go to a latin market and buy some cactus pads. Start them in some pots until they start rooting good. Most sulcata's love them. Check your local feed and seed store for pasture seed. Plant some plots outside, when it gets long. Just cut with scissors and put on top of the mazuri. Once your tort gets used to eating. You can pile on a plate to eat. Once your sully is large enough. He can graze on it while outside. If this has already been covered here. Sorry for the repeat.
Ok so the mazuri is good to feed I think I got confused I thought I was told not to give that, it’s been a lot of information. I’m already planning for the outside but first I want to get this inside enclosure right and her diet as well.

MandyV

Houston, Texas
So your basking light will be one end(doesn’t have to be right by the wall though) and hang your uv that end too👍 then your CHE will hang in the middle, the thermostat that the che is plugged into, the probe should be placed in the cooler end furthest from the basking light🙂

Should you discover you can’t quite keep the whole enclosure above 80 at night, you may want to install a second che in the warmer end, then had the second one hang a bit further toward the cooler end, but I have a feeling it’s going to be fine with one, we’ll play by here and start with the one you have first, the process is started either way now, you’ve got time to get these temps right👍

Your ambient light(the led) will also hang in the middle so it lights the entire enclosure, a nice bright space keeps a tortoise more active😊

Both the basking light and the led are going to be plugged into the same timer set for 12hrs(we personally have our lights go on 9am-9pm), the uv is going to be on it’s own separate timber for 4hours from noonish
Ok I have all the lights on and on the timers like you have mentioned, I’ll need to move them around a bit now but that’s no problem. The only thing not on yet is the CHE because she is using the fixture. I also saw different things about the UV some said 12 hours some said 4 so that’s a little confusing.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ok so the mazuri is good to feed I think I got confused I thought I was told not to give that, it’s been a lot of information. I’m already planning for the outside but first I want to get this inside enclosure right and her diet as well.
Mazuri is good but not everyday. 3 times a week is fine. Check with your local feed and seed store. My feed and seed sells the Mazuri in 25lb bags. When your tort gets bigger you can buy the bigger bag.
Grow some hibiscus and rose of Sharon. Also right now you can buy 3 small terracotta flower pots. Get some wheatgrass seeds and start growing wheatgrass in the first pot. 3 or 4 days later start growing the 2nd pot. Then the 3rd pot 3 or 4 days after that. Take a pot and hold over the Mazuri. Using scissors trim the wheatgrass on top of the Mazuri.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Ok I have all the lights on and on the timers like you have mentioned, I’ll need to move them around a bit now but that’s no problem. The only thing not on yet is the CHE because she is using the fixture. I also saw different things about the UV some said 12 hours some said 4 so that’s a little confusing.
Yes, UVB timings are confusing. 12 hours a day (full day) was a recommendation when lamps were weak. Modern lamps are more powerful but recommendation is still in place. 4 hours a day mimics natural sun UV peaks (look at UV Index in the weather forecast) so animal can choose to bask, to get UV or to get both. One drawback with shorter UVB periods is to make sure, that UVB lamp is on when tortoise do morning basking and is active. UVB lamp when tortoise is taking a midday nap and hiding is obvioisly non effective.