New and need help!

MyLittleDelilah

Location (City and/or State)
Garner,NC
Hi guys! I’m new here and I have a baby Sulcata. She’s about 4 months old. I have been doing my research and find many different ways of doing substrate, lighting and food. I have a pic of the enclosure here and I do know it needs to be more enclosed for humidity reasons but I’m not sure how to go about it. Any feedback helps! IMG_2365.jpg

Bambam1989

East Texas
Hello!
It's always great to hear that people want to improve the care of their torts.
From the picture I can recommend you make several changes.
1- those pellets are not a good substrate. You can't add water or they will turn to mush, sour, and mold. Since one of the first steps to improve humidity is to have a moist substrate the pellets should be replaced. Fine grade orchid bark, coco coir, and coco chips are widely recommended.
2- I don't think you have a big enough tub/ enclosure size. With such a small enclosure you can't get the temperature gradients that are desired.
3- your water dish could be swapped out to something that your tort can easily walk in and out of. The Terra Cotta saucers for under pots work well and you can use a second one for food.
4- to help hold in the heat and humidity a closed chamber is best, you can use plastic shower curtains, plastic tarps, etc. Drape it over the entire enclosure with lights inside. To prevent the plastic from melting or causing a fire don't let the plastic touch the lights, something will be needed to hold it up and off the lights. For a better seal you can tape the cover to the enclosure leaving one area that you can access.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas