New babies

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
View attachment 257350View attachment 257351new babies coming Friday. Is it safe to have these spider plants in their enclosure?View attachment 257352
Do you this enclosure needs anything? It’s. All in a tent to keep humidity in
Good Morning
Yes those spider plants are safe. How big is your enclosure if I may ask? It looks really nice and big. I would change the water bowl to one of those plant flat clay like ( the name always evades me for some reason) saucers, and I would sink it so that it is level with the substrate, which will make it easier for your babies to get in and out of without any accidents. That is what I can see immediately. The lighting I will leave to the experts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd remove the hay from the back corner, and use a different food bowl, as Carol suggested.

If the plants were recently purchased from a regular store, then they are not safe for your tortoises. Decorative plants grown at commercial nurseries are grown with systemic pesticides to keep the bugs off and keep them losing pretty for market. These pesticides are taken up into the plants tissues and can last for a year even after you remove and replace the soil.

I like the size and from what I can see, the lighting looks good. I see a basking bulb in the first lighting hood. What is in the second one?

How many are you getting? They don't do well in pairs. Groups are usually fine.

Jodimsteinberg5

Knoxville
The plant came from a friend. The best plant does have those white particles in the soil. I believe it’s miracle grow. Should I take it out? The enclosure is 4 foot by 6 foot. The second light is a ceramic heat bulb for nighttime warmth. There are going to be 2

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
The plant came from a friend. The best plant does have those white particles in the soil. I believe it’s miracle grow. Should I take it out? The enclosure is 4 foot by 6 foot. The second light is a ceramic heat bulb for nighttime warmth. There are going to be 2

Those white particles are either perlite/vermiculite or slow release fertilizer = all bad, as are any remnants of the Miracle Grow.
Yes, they look great, but could be dangerous to deadly for your tortoise.

Triple check what you have, we don’t want your tort ingesting bad stuff!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Those white particles are either perlite/vermiculite or slow release fertilizer = all bad, as are any remnants of the Miracle Grow.
Yes, they look great, but could be dangerous to deadly for your tortoise.

Triple check what you have, we don’t want your tort ingesting bad stuff!

I found this about Miracle Gro as well -

Ingestion. The ingredients of Miracle-Gro are nontoxic, according to its Materials Safety Data Sheet, but ingestion can cause gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting and diarrhea.
Source: https://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/miraclegro-poisonous-dogs-6012.html

Jodimsteinberg5

Knoxville
Good Morning
Yes those spider plants are safe. How big is your enclosure if I may ask? It looks really nice and big. I would change the water bowl to one of those plant flat clay like ( the name always evades me for some reason) saucers, and I would sink it so that it is level with the substrate, which will make it easier for your babies to get in and out of without any accidents. That is what I can see immediately. The lighting I will leave to the experts.

Thanks!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I would either add another baby making it three or I would build another enclosure as a group works but two causes problems. One will be bullied if there are only two.