New Build Design Questions

MesOak

Location (City and/or State)
Spokane, WA
Hi all, I'm designing an enclosure for my Redfoot, ~15M. Just have some design and placement questions
Specs: 8'x4' x2' tall. Two hides, second story over the larger one.

My first question is if there are any design flaws any veterans can identify, things like hides being too big/ too small, or specific worries about the ramps etc.
Second question is on placement: I want the second story (3'x3') to have a 1'x1' basking area which will double to keep the hide below it warmer. I also want to have water and food up there though, as the ramp will hopefully reduce the amount of dirt which finds its way into the water, keeping it clean hopefully longer than an hour like how it is now. Would this be a bad idea? Would it be bad for some reason to have the primary food and drinking water by the heat? I'll also have food and water near the second, smaller hide which will hopefully be cooler for him.
Thanks a ton!
The software I used is SketchUp, it's free online and really useful for determining how much plywood I'll need, seen in the background of some of the shots.

Red foot 1.jpgRed foot 2.jpgRed foot 3.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is this a night box or an indoor enclosure?

Where is the viewing area? Where is the access to the enclosure?

RFs don't need a basking area. They need uniform warm temps all over.

Best to keep food and water away from heat sources.

MesOak

Spokane, WA
It is an indoor enclosure.

Plexiglass windows will be added, I'm thinking second floor. Human access is from above, the ceiling is going to be removable and transparent, and through hinged wall openings to access hide interiors.
  • Are there areas I should avoid for a viewing area? Is it bad to be near food, or hide entrances?
No basking area, great. I'll keep it a constant temp.

Keep them apart, noted

1672555931573.png

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
It is an indoor enclosure.

Plexiglass windows will be added, I'm thinking second floor. Human access is from above, the ceiling is going to be removable and transparent, and through hinged wall openings to access hide interiors.
  • Are there areas I should avoid for a viewing area? Is it bad to be near food, or hide entrances?
No basking area, great. I'll keep it a constant temp.

Keep them apart, noted

View attachment 353033
Not seeing actual dimensions, I'm guessing at least the second ramp is too steep. When planning for ramps, the ratio needs to be 1:2. In other words, for every inch of rise, there needs to be 2 inches of length.

MesOak

Spokane, WA
Not seeing actual dimensions, I'm guessing at least the second ramp is too steep. When planning for ramps, the ratio needs to be 1:2. In other words, for every inch of rise, there needs to be 2 inches of length.
The ramps are each the same slope at 1:2, a foot long but each only going up 6". Glad to hear its sufficient, that's something I was worried about.