New enclosure for my hingebacks

Iochroma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco
I would not leave the Dieffenbachia (in the right rear corner, with withish central variegation) in any animal habitat. They are known to be dangerously toxic.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I would not leave the Dieffenbachia (in the right rear corner, with withish central variegation) in any animal habitat. They are known to be dangerously toxic.
OMG, Just looked that up, it can give off toxic sap. Thanks for the heads up. will change it for another type. I'm not very good with plants. If you can't eat it i've never grown it.lol
This is off topic but been on my mind. I have a huge apple tree in the garden, Last year some apples weighed 1.6lbs. Am I best not letting my adult torts near this tree due to falling fruit. How do redfoots go on in the wild with large falling fruit?

Thank you all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I'm sorry to have to say it, but...you've made it much easier now for a tortoise to climb out. Now they have an actual step and then a hand-hold to aid them. Just figure out a way to put an inward lip all around inside so the can't climb out.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well, I'm sorry to have to say it, but...you've made it much easier now for a tortoise to climb out. Now they have an actual step and then a hand-hold to aid them. Just figure out a way to put an inward lip all around inside so the can't climb out.
OK, will do. thanks

katfinlou

5 Year Member
This is why I love love love this forum. You guys with way more experience spot the pitfalls that us newbies miss. I looked at that pic and just saw a lovely enclosure, just didn't see any potential escape route or danger. This forum is like a huge safety blanket that saves us from potential mistakes and that's a wonderful thing :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( It did become an easier climb out. Sorry I must not have explained myself very well in the first place in how/what you needed to do. :( I still love the concept you have going tho.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yes...we all get all kinds of wonderful ideas from each others' pictures. I really like this enclosure. I'd love to see it with a tortoise in it.
You will see torts in about 10 days, The lady i'm getting them off said the same as you about them climbing, she says they are the liveliest and cleverest torts she has. Told me they climb on each other to try and escape. I've also added a larger deeper water dish as they seem to love it in water a lot. I'm going to take fence off and start again with that part tomorrow. She's had them for ten years and has emailed me how she's looked after them over the years. One thing that surprised me was that she feeds all of her tropical torts hydrated carp pellets once a month. Have you heard of this before?
Thanks again

Can't wait to get these, sounds like they have some right character.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
:( It did become an easier climb out. Sorry I must not have explained myself very well in the first place in how/what you needed to do. :( I still love the concept you have going tho.
No need to be sorry Jacqui. Not your fault, I should have gone with overhanging lip idea first, My Mrs suggested that before we started:oops:. Typical man not listening again.:) I love messing about anyway, and you learn more from mistakes.
Any more suggestions from anybody is more than welcome.

Thanks

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
No need to be sorry Jacqui. Not your fault, I should have gone with overhanging lip idea first, My Mrs suggested that before we started:oops:. Typical man not listening again.:) I love messing about anyway, and you learn more from mistakes.
Any more suggestions from anybody is more than welcome.

Thanks
Hello Anyfoot:

May I have your permission to share this threat in one of the China's Tortoise and turtles forum? The people are thirsty of the idea of indoor enclosures over there. Your set-up will inspired many Chinese Torts Lover. I'm sure of that.

Looking forward to hear from you and also looking for your update when you getting your torts in this beautiful enclosure.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hello Anyfoot:

May I have your permission to share this threat in one of the China's Tortoise and turtles forum? The people are thirsty of the idea of indoor enclosures over there. Your set-up will inspired many Chinese Torts Lover. I'm sure of that.

Looking forward to hear from you and also looking for your update when you getting your torts in this beautiful enclosure.
Yes of course you can, will keep updates and finish product posted with photos

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hello everyone
Started my upgrade today. I've only done the front fence today. Going to make the rest of the vertical slats tomorrow.
The fence is now 17" high from the substrate with a 2" inside lip. The gaps between the vertical slats are 2" apart and I've made it so there will be no gap in the corners. The horizontal slat is on the outside to add rigidity and no foot hold for torts. I've also made the vertical slats flush to the box on the inside again so there is no foot hold for torts, The torts i'm getting are 6 to 7" and when on hind legs upto 9" high, and a specimens can get to 8 or 9".
Some photos to look at before I proceed to complete it, hopefully tomorrow. Again thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Stupid computer lol, here are the photo's.

1st photo is of the slats I made.

photo 2 (5).JPG photo 1 (6).JPG photo 1 (4).JPG photo 3 (6).JPG photo 4 (4).JPG

Attachments

• photo 2 (5).JPG
    photo 2 (5).JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 5

Prairie Mom

I am so impressed! I love the look of everything. I especially melted over the fence (even though it is plaguing you!) and I love the way you used the chopped branches as accents throughout. YOU ARE AN ARTIST!!!-And such a patient hard worker. The craftsmanship is so nice and the fence is so adorable, that if I were in your shoes I'd probably just attempt to stick some clear plexiglass in front of anything that may be climbable.

Also, I must say...the way you are interacting with people who are critiquing your work and the diligent improvements you are making show what a likeable person you must be!