New enclosure for my hingebacks

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I am so impressed! I love the look of everything. I especially melted over the fence (even though it is plaguing you!) and I love the way you used the chopped branches as accents throughout. YOU ARE AN ARTIST!!!-And such a patient hard worker. The craftsmanship is so nice and the fence is so adorable, that if I were in your shoes I'd probably just attempt to stick some clear plexiglass in front of anything that may be climbable.

Also, I must say...the way you are interacting with people who are critiquing your work and the diligent improvements you are making show what a likeable person you must be!
OMG Prairie mom, That was a very nice thing to say, thank you. I've learnt to take on board everyone's thoughts and ideas to achieve the best in life. Live and learn off others can only improve one self. Thank you again for that.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yes of course you can, will keep updates and finish product posted with photos
Thank you so much for your reply and your permission. You are one hack of carpenter. WOW! ! ! !Look at that fence you made.....First I thought that was an commercial product, but......Holu Torts! ! ! ! !! You are good! ! ! !

Looking forward for your next update.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hello everyone

Going to put myself in the firing line again. lol
I've just about finished my indoor set up for my homes hingebacks. Few minor things I have to do like put the perspex lid in a hinged frame and I was thinking of covering the outside plane wall where the doorway is with a piece of straw beach mat.
All my water dishes are sat inside another water dish so when I change the water daily the substrate doesn't fall into the hole left by just using 1 dish. I'm sick of bending down to see temp and humidity gauges so I've sat these on 2 picture hooks with Velcro and tilted up. Hingebacks don't like very bright uvb so I've created a canopy with fake vine to block some of the light like it would in a natural jungle. The uvb doesn't let off much heat so its safe, I can just about keep my finger on uvb tube so its not too hot. The canopy is on a hook at the narrow end so when I clean it out I can unhook and move it.
I've got sphagnum moss,coco,cyprus mulch and dried leaf litter in the covered area. The leaves are dried(some greens can give off toxins), I collected them and soaked them in boiling water for 10 minutes then left to dry again to kill off any unwanted bodies. I made a larger hide for them, not sure about this. Any ideas how I can make it safe for them to climb on at the end but not fall off. Got heat on a thermostat and both uvb and heat on a timer. So at night they rely on room temperature which is 70/75f. I'm thinking 86f at heated end down to 77f in cooler end of the indoor side.
Take no notice of temp and humidity readings they are not set yet.
Also both sides of the enclosure are not fixed together so makes it easier to clean the covered area by spliting them apart.
Ideas and thoughts are welcome.

On the photos that uvb looks extremely bright, That's my bad photography skills:)

Thanks

Craig

photo 2 (3).JPG photo 1 (3).JPG photo 1 (2).JPG photo 2 (2).JPG photo 3 (3).JPG photo 4 (2).JPG photo 5 (2).JPG photo 3 (2).JPG photo 5 (1).JPG photo 1 (1).JPG photo 1.JPG photo 2 (1).JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3 (1).JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4 (1).JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very nice! You are quite talented.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think it's very pretty for the humans, yet looks good for the tortoises too. Your hired! :) Now it's time for the real test.... how those hingebacks do in there. :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Very nice! You are quite talented.
Thank you Yvonne. Do you think I should put there feeding area on the inside or outside part. For us to feed it would be more convenient on the outside but is that the best for the torts.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I think it's very pretty for the humans, yet looks good for the tortoises too. Your hired! :) Now it's time for the real test.... how those hingebacks do in there. :)
Can't wait, getting them next Saturday.
Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like to place the feeding tile at the farthest point away from where they rest. Causes them to have to do more walking.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I like to place the feeding tile at the farthest point away from where they rest. Causes them to have to do more walking.
Ok. So I'll do it in the outside part first and see how they act and where they settle.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
You should be very proud of yourself, it looks fantastic. Heck Id be happy living somewhere as pretty as that never mind a tortoise lol :)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Man than looks GREAT!! I can't wait to see pics of your torts!!!! By the way, so far the redfoot manual is pretty good, I'm not done reading it :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Man than looks GREAT!! I can't wait to see pics of your torts!!!! By the way, so far the redfoot manual is pretty good, I'm not done reading it :)
Ah that's good. Have you learnt anything from the book you didn't already know. When are you getting your next torts. I've got a major dilemma coming up in my life. The lady who I am getting those hingebacks off has got 11 adult redfoots. One his her prize tortoise, a female wc cherryhead. Looks perfect. Says she want's them all to go together and will let me have em when I get my large out building project built. Now that's pressure. Need to get a move on but is 6 to 12 month project.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Ah that's good. Have you learnt anything from the book you didn't already know. When are you getting your next torts. I've got a major dilemma coming up in my life. The lady who I am getting those hingebacks off has got 11 adult redfoots. One his her prize tortoise, a female wc cherryhead. Looks perfect. Says she want's them all to go together and will let me have em when I get my large out building project built. Now that's pressure. Need to get a move on but is 6 to 12 month project.
Whoa...how many tortoises will that total you in all? That's pressure alright! Are you taking the 11 Redfoots? That would be so wonderful!! Is she no longer able to care for the torts or lost interest? I'll be getting my 2 new HETS from JD aka n2torts in about a month or so. I hope it will be ok to ship then. They are in California & I'm in Michigan & it's below 0 some days here. I can't wait to get them!!!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Whoa...how many tortoises will that total you in all? That's pressure alright! Are you taking the 11 Redfoots? That would be so wonderful!! Is she no longer able to care for the torts or lost interest? I'll be getting my 2 new HETS from JD aka n2torts in about a month or so. I hope it will be ok to ship then. They are in California & I'm in Michigan & it's below 0 some days here. I can't wait to get them!!!
She's only getting rid of torts due to ill health. Down sizing to a manageable size, which means reds have to go, but she doesn't want to part with Edna her cherryhead female, however would let me have her with the rest. Bribery. lol
Can you put your hets with the reds you have now or do you have to set up another enclosure. How big r yours and the hets. Can't wait to see your hets, would love some of those. Do you keep your torts indoors then.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
The Hets are a month old I think? I will keep my baby cherryheads separated from them. I can put them together I think down the road but I will have to ask JD about this because I want to keep the true bloodline together. I wondered that myself. I can't wait to get them too!! My torts stay indoors. Only in the summer they go out, bummer. I don't have an area where I could really build something for my torts outdoors. I live in a busy subdivion, we are the corner house where everyone can see our tiny backyard. There are no fences aloud in our subdivion. I would never trust to leave my torts outside. When they are out, I'm out too. My Redfoots are big, a foot, two of them are nearly 9 inches, & 4 inches. They are growing big, it must be the mazuri!! I will have to measure them soon. Can't wait to see your new herd :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The Hets are a month old I think? I will keep my baby cherryheads separated from them. I can put them together I think down the road but I will have to ask JD about this because I want to keep the true bloodline together. I wondered that myself. I can't wait to get them too!! My torts stay indoors. Only in the summer they go out, bummer. I don't have an area where I could really build something for my torts outdoors. I live in a busy subdivion, we are the corner house where everyone can see our tiny backyard. There are no fences aloud in our subdivion. I would never trust to leave my torts outside. When they are out, I'm out too. My Redfoots are big, a foot, two of them are nearly 9 inches, & 4 inches. They are growing big, it must be the mazuri!! I will have to measure them soon. Can't wait to see your new herd :)
Do you have a spare room you can dedicate to your torts?