New Greeks constantly under basking light

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
So today I just got in the mail my three new Greek tortoise and they are active and healthy looking. All have eaten but they don't really move out from under the basking light. They haven't since I put them in the cage
Here are the temps
Under basking light - 96 to 98 F
Under CHE in the humid, covered section of the enclosure - around 100 degrees and all around the rest of the humid section is mid 80s
Cool place is 75 - 80
I just added the dark humid hide and I keep my cypress mulch outside so it was cold. I am going to have to wait till everything warms up in there to take a temp

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Maybe see if your hot spot can get closer to the 100 mark? Also I bet it just feels really good......I wish I was under a basking light right now...burr it is cold :D

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Maybe see if your hot spot can get closer to the 100 mark? Also I bet it just feels really good......I wish I was under a basking light right now...burr it is cold :D

i'm just use to my Gupta who doesn't really care for his basking light and prefers to chill beside his humidity box or in it under the warm
CHE. they just never come out from under it lol, they cage is plenty hot i think.
I guess they do just really like how it feels, at night time though i would really like for them to sleep in their humidity box .
I'm also scared that sitting under the basking light so much will dehydrate them.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well I think you have a judgement call on your hands....

Let em be and perhaps give em a mist,
Move em because it is bugging you

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Well I think you have a judgement call on your hands....

Let em be and perhaps give em a mist,
Move em because it is bugging you

i have been misting them and i think i will let them be, i always like to think that tortoises do things for a reason lol they have access to water 24/7 and cooler areas and warmer , humid areas and a hid box so eventually they will move (i hope haha)
one just burrowed !!! thats exciting for me

Status
Not open for further replies.