New here! Yellow Foot Tortoise

andreafl

Location (City and/or State)
Pembroke Pines Fl
Hi Everyone, This app is a dream come true! It’s a blessing to find so much information and tortoise lovers like me in one place. I have a lovely yellow foot tortoise called Mechas (means lots of blond hair [emoji23][emoji23] in my language). I think she is 14 years old, and has been with me 12 years. We live in sunny South Florida and she enjoys the nice weather. I built a special fence for her to enjoy the outdoors all year round. Picture below.IMG_1469.jpgIMG_1485.jpg
There are few things that concerns me, and would like your advise.
1. Few months ago... My Tortoise stop eating and stayed in her “cave” for few days... we were worried and got her out by hand and discovered she had an egg [emoji33] what I was supposed to do... (first time this happened) How often this occur? I don’t have a male tortoise, how this occurred? What is this called? What topics should I read about?
2. Mechas ([emoji217]) has been the only pet in the house for 12 years, but a month ago we got a dog a 5-month female Boston Terrier [emoji190]. Any recommendation for the tortoise and dog to get along safely?
Thank you! and look forward to your comments!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hello and welcome! Both your tortoise and your dog are very cute!
Having a dog and a tortoise together often turns out badly for the tortoise. Dogs can kill them easily and often do. There are a lot of stories of people keeping them together and saying that they get along or don't bother each other, sometimes for years even... and one day the dog attacks. Even a sweet, gentle dog has the natural instincts to kill. I would keep your new dog away from your tortoise. It would be so heartbreaking if something bad happened.
I'm not sure about the egg.. I only have male tortoises. Someone else will know I'm sure :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Love the tort.... and the dog. :) She may never have another egg, there is just no way to be sure. Just always keep it in mind, if her behavior changes again.

Welcome!:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't be sure from the pictures you posted, but I'm thinking you have a redfooted tortoise, not a yellowfooted. Females sometimes lay infertile eggs.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I can't be sure from the pictures you posted, but I'm thinking you have a redfooted tortoise, not a yellowfooted. Females sometimes lay infertile eggs.
I was going to say the same thing. That looks more like a Redfoot to me.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I'm blind and can neither comment on nor differentiate redfoot or yellowfoot. Regardless... welcome to the forum!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As for the dog.
They can't always be trusted with tortoises. Sometimes just for no apparent reason dogs will see a tortoise as a chew toy.
Also, dogs and tortoises like to eat each others poop. Bad in many ways.
It's best to not let them be near each other.
I have a dedicated Redfoot pen in my yard and my dog can't get near my tortoises. And in my case, my biggest tortoise outweighs my dog by 6 pounds.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Whenever I have a tortoise actively laying eggs. I up the calcium content in the diet. I sometimes do this my mashing up whole boiled eggs and feeding them. Shell and all.

I've had several yellow Redfoot tortoises.
Redfoot and Yellowfoot don't just get their names by color. They are different species.

andreafl

Pembroke Pines Fl
Whenever I have a tortoise actively laying eggs. I up the calcium content in the diet. I sometimes do this my mashing up whole boiled eggs and feeding them. Shell and all.

I've had several yellow Redfoot tortoises.
Redfoot and Yellowfoot don't just get their names by color. They are different species.

I did not know they were different species. Good to know.
I also live in Pembroke Pines, I would love to connect with them. May be they can recommend a good vet for my tortoise. I’m not confident her current vet knows a lot about her specie and tortoises overall.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I use Dr.K
(From t.v. fame)
She wasnt famous back when I started with her. But she is the only TRUE tortoise knowing vet I've found!
It's in Deerfield Beach.
BROWARD AVIAN AND EXOTIC VET.
Fame hasn't affected her fees. Luckily! She's very fair.