New Hermann's Tortoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

curliesue1975

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wylie, Tx
Hello,

My name is Nicole and I am a brand new Hermann's tortoise owner. I live in Texas and I got my little Herman a week ago. He is supose to be 9 month old. I got him from a girl that acctually breeds only salcutas & she decided the he/she is more of a hustle for her since he/she doesn't fit in with hers. I am new to owning a toroise but wanted one all my life since my grandma has one for over 45 years. I need a little advice from you since my grandma does everything different than what you guys do and she also lives in Germany. Here is what I did. I made him a home in my old rabbit cage since he is still so tiny until I will be able to build him an permanent outside enclosure, I use a mixture out of organic topsoil and peat moss. I planted salvia, greek oregano, prasley, rosmary and geranium in it. I have a corner filled with hey and a water bowl which is a plate for a plant filled with pebbels so he won't drown. I also added some flat rocks for different texture. Do I need to spray his cage daily? Right now he is on my patio because we had some terrible thunderstorms but ususally his cagee is on a table 1/2 sun & shade. He eats well almost everything I gave him so far like dandilions, grass, romain lettuce, hibiscus, rose paddle but he seems to be a liitle freaked out when we go to his cage. What is the best way of taming him/her? When will I be able to sex him/her? What am I forgetting?

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• DSCN3511.JPG
    DSCN3511.JPG
    623.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN3512.JPG
    DSCN3512.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • DSCN3510.JPG
    DSCN3510.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Nicole and welcome to the forum...

I will leave the Hermann answers to those more knowledgeable about the species than me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nicole:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Wow! for being a brand new tortoise keeper, its obvious you've done your homework. I see everything right about your enclosure. Like Dmarcus, I don't know much about the Hermanns tortoises, I just wanted to compliment you on your tortoise habitat and welcome you.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum Nicole!

I live right down the road from you in Garland!

This is great site! hope you find all you need here

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looking great! Your off to a wonderful start with him. Welcome :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.