New Member from Upstate NY( Tortoise Recommendations)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Do you recommend keeping tortoises in groups or just certain species?
This entirely depends on what you want to do. All tortoise species make a fine pet when housed solo. I want to breed the species I keep, and I find it beneficial to my long term goals if the tortoises grow up interacting with other tortoises of their own species for their whole lives, so I tend to prefer groups of 6-10 tortoises housed together as babies. Then, as soon as I can tell the sexes, I separate males and females. Males grow up together in bachelor herds together, and sometimes have to be separated into individual enclosures if they won't get along. Females then get to grow up to a mature size in peace with each other without being constantly hassled and harassed by dominant amorous males. When the females are an appropriate size for breeding based on the species, I reintroduce a male or males, depending on the species and circumstances. SA leopards get one male for a group of females. Burmese stars can all just live together with multiple adult males and females in any combination. Russians are hit or miss however you try to do it.

I have seen difficulty in some cases trying to mix a tortoise that grew up all alone into a breeding group years later. They sometimes don't seem to know how to get along with their own kind. It usually still works out, but there is a bit more stress for the tortoise and the tortoise keeper. Females that behave inappropriately get sorted out by a big dominant bull male. Males that behave inappropriately usually receive no challenge from the females, and soon nature kicks in and they figure out what those females are there for, and it isn't fighting.

So generally, if you feel like you can make it work as they mature, I prefer groups. The downside is that if you get 6 Russian babies and 4 of them turn out to be males, you will have to maintain 6 enclosures as they mature, or sell off some surplus males. This is very species dependent, and also depends on your individuals. Russians tend to be very scrappy. Even females and juveniles will fight. Hermanni are better. In most cases, only adult males will fight with other adult males. Female Hermanni will sometimes get a little testy during egg laying times, but are usually amicable. The stars are the opposite end of this spectrum from the Russians. You can keep any combination of adult stars together, any mix of adult males and females, and no one wants to fight ever. All tortoises are individuals and there will always be unusual outliers, but these generalities usually hold true.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yea the price is a little high but it seems like all the enclosures that are closed chamber seem to be higher priced from what I have seen. What do you start your hatchlings in?
I use the best tortoise enclosures there are: Smart Enclosures. To be fair, Mark, the inventor, designer, and builder of the Smart Enclosure is a personal friend and mentor, but that doesn't mean his enclosures are not superior. The price seems high at first glance, but when you add up all the stuff that you would have to buy and then install yourself into any other enclosure, his are cheaper. He buys the stuff in bulk and is able to sell it cheaper than what you can buy all these parts and materials for and then build it yourself. The design is pure genius. Its the perfect life support system for tortoises.

I used to use Animal Plastics, and their enclosures are of excellent quality and design at a fair price, but then you have buy and install all the heating and lighting and timers and thermostats yourself. Also, the wait time for an AP enclosure can exceed 9-12 months. I love them, and I can certainly buy and install all my own equipment, but I don't always have a year to wait when I need an enclosure now. Mark's smart enclosures are cheaper, better, and all the work is professionally done for you by Mark. Mark also installs better lighting equipment than what I would usually buy at Home Depot.

The starter smart enclosure is 4x3 feet. You can easily add on the "expansion pack" when your tortoises outgrow their 4 feet and make it 8x3 feet. I've never done it, but I bet you could go to 12 or 16 feet if you have the space and inclination.

HooteeHooo

New York
All tortoises are individuals and there will always be unusual outliers, but these generalities usually hold true.
I had no idea that different tortoises species can act so different within a group i figured they all acted roughly the same. More than likely one tortoise will be what i get once i have everything set up and running.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had no idea that different tortoises species can act so different within a group i figured they all acted roughly the same. More than likely one tortoise will be what i get once i have everything set up and running.
That works and will usually lead to a very relaxing and enjoyable tortoise keeping experience.

You will be so glad that you learned all of these details and set up the enclosure correctly BEFORE bringing home a tortoise... I'm very happy for you and your future tortoise.

HooteeHooo

New York
I use the best tortoise enclosures there are: Smart Enclosures. To be fair, Mark, the inventor, designer, and builder of the Smart Enclosure is a personal friend and mentor, but that doesn't mean his enclosures are not superior. The price seems high at first glance, but when you add up all the stuff that you would have to buy and then install yourself into any other enclosure, his are cheaper. He buys the stuff in bulk and is able to sell it cheaper than what you can buy all these parts and materials for and then build it yourself. The design is pure genius. Its the perfect life support system for tortoises.

I used to use Animal Plastics.....

Ill check out both of them

HooteeHooo

New York
That works and will usually lead to a very relaxing and enjoyable tortoise keeping experience.

You will be so glad that you learned all of these details and set up the enclosure correctly BEFORE bringing home a tortoise... I'm very happy for you and your future tortoise.
There is no way i would feel comfortable getting a tortoise and setting it up all in one day after what ive learned thus far, I am beyond glad that i joined this forum. When i end up getting all said and done ill be sure to post a photo.

Reactions: Tom

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
How long do you think I would be able to use that enclosure for? I was thinking of get a zen habitat because i saw that they have extension kits for length and depth, have you ever used them before?
Maybe 6 months depending on growth. After the grow out enclosure its much cheaper to just build ur own.. u can find many videos that can help u through it. Or ive even used grow tents turned on their side which also works great and very cheap.