New Member from Upstate NY( Tortoise Recommendations)

HooteeHooo

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi All,

I live in Upstate NY and recently I have recently rekindled my love for Tortoises, I've been trying to figure out what species would work for me. I want to get a Red foot after holding one in a petstore and utterly falling for the little critter. I have space outdoors to make a habitat, indoors is little harder due to living in an duplex apartment. So i was thinking i would need to go with a smaller species of tortoise due to the space indoors, and the weather in Upstate NY being colder for more than half the year seems like it would not be a good fit for a Red foot. I had thought of Western Hermans or a russian, but i really like how eye catching Red foots are, are their any small species that have colors like Red foots? What kind of Tortoise would you recommend? I appirecate any help that you can provide :)

Ryan

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The Hermann's or Russian would be best for not having much room. Even they need a 4x8 foot enclosure at a minimum.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi All,

I live in Upstate NY and recently I have recently rekindled my love for Tortoises, I've been trying to figure out what species would work for me. I want to get a Red foot after holding one in a petstore and utterly falling for the little critter. I have space outdoors to make a habitat, indoors is little harder due to living in an duplex apartment. So i was thinking i would need to go with a smaller species of tortoise due to the space indoors, and the weather in Upstate NY being colder for more than half the year seems like it would not be a good fit for a Red foot. I had thought of Western Hermans or a russian, but i really like how eye catching Red foots are, are their any small species that have colors like Red foots? What kind of Tortoise would you recommend? I appirecate any help that you can provide :)

Ryan
Gary Bright is in Davenport, NY (near Oneonta). He keeps and breeds several species successfully there. Maybe you could communicate with him and get some good ideas plus buy a baby tortoise and see its parents. Tell him I sent you and he'll charge you extra (LOL)!!

Contact Gary at: [email protected]

HooteeHooo

New York
Gary Bright is in Davenport, NY (near Oneonta). He keeps and breeds several species successfully there. Maybe you could communicate with him and get some good ideas plus buy a baby tortoise and see its parents. Tell him I sent you and he'll charge you extra (LOL)!!

Contact Gary at: [email protected]
Thank you, ill reach out to Gary. Hopefully he wont hit me with a Zovick fee haha

zovick

10 Year Member!
4x2 would be plenty for a baby. Even a 38x18 would be fine for a while. In my experience I find a single baby does better not being put into a huge enclosure right away.
Yes, plus it is a lot easier to find them in smaller enclosures than in a 4' x 8' one. Using the smaller size for a year or so will save you a lot of wasted time searching for the baby.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't get too small, that's when it's harder to get the temp variants.i always used a 2x4 for my leopard hatchlings. They had no problem with it and it was easy to get the temps where they needed to be. I only needed two temps for my leopards, you need a variant of 75-80 and then the basking and night temp.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Don't get too small, that's when it's harder to get the temp variants.i always used a 2x4 for my leopard hatchlings. They had no problem with it and it was easy to get the temps where they needed to be. I only needed two temps for my leopards, you need a variant of 75-80 and then the basking and night temp.
Yes 36x18 exoterras work great for hatchlings. Never had a problem with gradients. Just cover the screen tops to keep in humidity

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had thought of Western Hermans or a russian,
Either the Russian or the hermanni would be an excellent choice.

Also have a look at the star tortoises. They don't brumate, so you can enjoy them year round, and they are gorgeous. You could keep a small group of Indian stars in a 4x8 for half the year. Burmese stars tend to be a little larger, much more outgoing, but also beautiful. Males sometimes stay 6-7 inches, and larger females top out around 11 inches, so these would be manageable indoors over winter too.

Have a look at these threads to give you some ideas:

Care sheet for stars:

Care sheet for Russians and Hermanni:

Introduction to the Burmese Star tortoise:

HooteeHooo

New York
Yes 36x18 exoterras work great for hatchlings. Never had a problem with gradients. Just cover the screen tops to keep in humidity
How long do you think I would be able to use that enclosure for? I was thinking of get a zen habitat because i saw that they have extension kits for length and depth, have you ever used them before?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How long do you think I would be able to use that enclosure for? I was thinking of get a zen habitat because i saw that they have extension kits for length and depth, have you ever used them before?
I've looked at the Zen habitats. They are workable, but not cheap. If I recall correctly, my main problem with them was that they could only be 24 inches wide, but as long or tall as you wanted in multiples of 24". They had a booth at a reptile show here and I got to see them first hand.

HooteeHooo

New York
Either the Russian or the hermanni would be an excellent choice.

Also have a look at the star tortoises. They don't brumate, so you can enjoy them year round, and they are gorgeous. You could keep a small group of Indian stars in a 4x8 for half the year. Burmese stars tend to be a little larger, much more outgoing, but also beautiful. Males sometimes stay 6-7 inches, and larger females top out around 11 inches, so these would be manageable indoors over winter too.

Have a look at these threads to give you some ideas:

Care sheet for stars:

Care sheet for Russians and Hermanni:

Introduction to the Burmese Star tortoise:
Holy cow, thank you the information. I wasn't even thinking about brumation so thank you for saying something another subject of research LOL. I have to agree that the star tortoises are really gorgeous. Do you recommend keeping tortoises in groups or just certain species?

HooteeHooo

New York
I've looked at the Zen habitats. They are workable, but not cheap. If I recall correctly, my main problem with them was that they could only be 24 inches wide, but as long or tall as you wanted in multiples of 24". They had a booth at a reptile show here and I got to see them first hand.

Yea the price is a little high but it seems like all the enclosures that are closed chamber seem to be higher priced from what I have seen. What do you start your hatchlings in?