New Owner Confused on Substrates

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeBeau

5 Year Member
Hi all!

I have recently "inherited" a Russian tort from a family member who is no longer able to care for her. I'm a big animal lover (cats, dogs, horses, you name it, it's at my ranch), so I've been researching the Russian tort like crazy to help prepare for her arrival. One thing in particular, though, has me confused. I've seen lots of different advice on Russian tort substrates, many contradicting, and I'm not sure what's best to use or why.

Right now, I'm thinking of using a corsi and play sand mix (as suggested at www.russiantortoise.org). Does this sound appropriate? Are there better alternatives? I'm open to other suggestions as well! I'm currently building her a large indoor tort table for the moment, until I can prepare her a nice enclosed outdoor area.

Thanks if advance!

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Welcome to TFO :) My suggestion is either plain cheap bagged dirt or cypress mulch. Sand can cause impaction.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Most of us don't use sand because it can cause impaction. and I unfortunately don't know what corsi is. I usually recommend a plain old regular potting soil ( with no additives) and a coconut fiber mix usually 50 50 some like others but indoors this is what works best for me.

LeBeau

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice, Missy and Dmmj! I'll be sure to stay away from sand (I didn't know about the impaction). And, dmmj, I should have written it as "coconut" corsi (the stuff that looks like a brick when you first purchase it, right?), so I think I'll go with your suggestion and mix the soil and fiber! Thanks again! :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum, I am in agree, most will not recommend sand because of the possibility of impaction if the eat any. Coco core, cypress mulch or just plain soil are all good choices.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
LeBeau said:
Right now, I'm thinking of using a corsi and play sand mix (as suggested at www.russiantortoise.org). Does this sound appropriate? Are there better alternatives? I'm open to other suggestions as well! I'm currently building her a large indoor tort table for the moment, until I can prepare her a nice enclosed outdoor area.

Thanks if advance!
I do use the sand with coir as the base in all my inside enclosures. I myself have never had an issue with it. I think if you use a reasonable amount, mix it in good, and have a healthy well hydrated animal, there are no problems. I like adding the sand because it seems to keep in the humidity better and makes a nice digging substrate.

I do understand the confusion, because after years of reading posts, you find out that somebody has had a life threatening problem with just about every thing out there.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
There's so much conflicting information because there is no one "right" answer to this question (or most questions involving tort care). There are many options that have been used successfully by members of this and other forums. Personally, I like just plain old dirt. My Russian spends most of the year in an outdoor enclosure. I use dirt from the backyard - its a loam that contains some sands, silts, clays, and organic matter. Weeds grow in it very well, it holds moisture, and its a good substrate for digging little burrows (RTs loves to dig). My tort has lived in the enclosure for about 4 years and he's perfectly happy and healthy in the dirt.

Added benefit=its cheap. :)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Hello, and Welcome Sand Isnt Good!
Most Members Use Dirt Or Cyrpess Mulch, I Personaly Use Zoomed Coco Fiber

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
We have been using exclusively cypress mulch for the last several years. It is very easy to clean, doesn't mold, etc.
With that said, I now find myself moving to bio-active soil. The more plants we include in the enclosures, the happier the tortoises are. I also recommend hermit crabs:D

LeBeau

5 Year Member
You folks have been so helpful (I'm so glad I found this forum)! Thanks again for all the advise. As I get my tort settled, I'm sure I'll have a million more questions, but now I know where to go!

River14

5 Year Member
Goodness me where are you living. if you have horses use hay. im not sure about Russians but hay is always good soaked or sprayed just keep it hydrated.

Wow how exciting for you a tortois in your midst.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
River14 said:
Goodness me where are you living. if you have horses use hay. im not sure about Russians but hay is always good soaked or sprayed just keep it hydrated.

Wow how exciting for you a tortois in your midst.

Hay can mold easily and is harder to keep clean. Also, some types like timothy are too high in protein (tortoises may nibble on their substrate). My advice: use cypress mulch, bio-active substrate, or a 50/50 mix of play sand and topsoil.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi LeBeau:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

In my opinion, your little Russian should be set up outside. Then you don't need to worry about substrate...just use the dirt outside. He will eat the weeds growing in his pen. Did the previous owner keep him indoors or outdoors?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
emysemys said:
Hi LeBeau:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

In my opinion, your little Russian should be set up outside. Then you don't need to worry about substrate...just use the dirt outside. He will eat the weeds growing in his pen. Did the previous owner keep him indoors or outdoors?

I strongly agree with you, Yvonne, but I should also point out the fact that russians will need a well drained substrate to prevent things like shell rot. A layer of light soil, sand, and some small rocks over a 12" layer of gravel will help with drainage.

Status
Not open for further replies.