New Red Foot Substrate

ND135

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hi!
I am a fairly new red foot momma (5 months new - my baby Lightning is a little over a year old).

I just recently added proper mulch to her enclosure. I was using all EcoEarth coconut fiber substrate originally. I added mulch to the warm (basking) side of the enclosure and kept her cool (hiding side) as just the coconut fiber substrate. Well, she LOVES the mulch... almost a little too much. She burrows herself in it (which is so cute), but she won't come out of her little burrow to eat or drink water! I take her out and soak her and when I return her to her enclosure, I place her in front of her food - she will eat it and then walk around the enclosure happy like usual then go burrow again. So, she is hungry and wants to eat, but its like she doesn't want to get out of her mulch to do anything - including eat or drink her water.

1. Has anyone else experienced this?
2. Is there a proper side to mulch (basking side vs. hiding side) or should I have mulched it all?
3. Should I trust her instincts/leave her be to enjoy her new bedding -and she will come out to eat when she is ready?

Grateful for any advice!

:) Lightning's Mom

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ok
Redfoot require no hot side and cool side.
They require an ambient (all over) temperature and humidity.
Temperature: 80 to 86 with 82° the target. 24/7.
Humidity: over 70% 24/7. Higher is better.
Please photograph or explain in detail your enclosure, lighting and heating equipment

ND135

Maryland
Ok
Redfoot require no hot side and cool side.
They require an ambient (all over) temperature and humidity.
Temperature: 80 to 86 with 82° the target. 24/7.
Humidity: over 70% 24/7. Higher is better.
Please photograph or explain in detail your enclosure, lighting and heating equipment
Thanks. Poor choice of words. Yes. Her enclosure is about 80-85 degrees consistently... but she likes to hide in her log away from the bulb at times.... I have have ceramic bulbs working with a proper UV bulbs recommended by her Vet.

ND135

Maryland
Thanks. Poor choice of words. Yes. Her enclosure is about 80-85 degrees consistently... but she likes to hide in her log away from the bulb at times.... I have have ceramic bulbs working with a proper UV bulbs recommended by her Vet.
... and a Fogger in conjunction with sprayers

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
A UV "BULB" concerns me.
No bulb that screws in should be used. This includes mercury vapor bulbs. Coiled compact uvb bulbs and spiral uvb bulbs.
You need a linear strip florescent tube uvb. Unfortunately most vets have no hands on information. And are reading from the same 30 year old books. Those screw in UVB bulbs do not broadcast uvb correctly and some actually pinpoint it and cause serious eye injuries. The harshness can also make tortoises avoid that area. Especially since REDFOOT try to spend most of their time out of the direct sunlight.
A t5 ho 10.0 or 12%.
Something like this is what you need:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230512_102809_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230512_102809_Samsung Internet.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 4

ND135

Maryland
A UV "BULB" concerns me.
No bulb that screws in should be used. This includes mercury vapor bulbs. Coiled compact uvb bulbs and spiral uvb bulbs.
You need a linear strip florescent tube uvb. Unfortunately most vets have no hands on information. And are reading from the same 30 year old books. Those screw in UVB bulbs do not broadcast uvb correctly and some actually pinpoint it and cause serious eye injuries. The harshness can also make tortoises avoid that area. Especially since REDFOOT try to spend most of their time out of the direct sunlight.
A t5 ho 10.0 or 12%.
Something like this is what you need:
This is the light that I’m using which was recommended by the vet

Again my poor choice of rookie words. I’m using proper equipment her humidity is good. I’m just wondering if anyone else here has one that loves to burrow and stay. Im not using my phone at the moment. When I get to a computer I can post a pic.

Thanks for your kind replies and education. Im new at this but trust me I have fallen in love with this little soul and am grateful for your care and interest !!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is the light that I’m using which was recommended by the vet

Again my poor choice of rookie words. I’m using proper equipment her humidity is good. I’m just wondering if anyone else here has one that loves to burrow and stay. Im not using my phone at the moment. When I get to a computer I can post a pic.

Thanks for your kind replies and education. Im new at this but trust me I have fallen in love with this little soul and am grateful for your care and interest !!!

If you have some free time, feel free to search "coiled bulbs" here on the forum.
We have many stories of pet shops and even vets reccomending these harmful lights. And many stories of eye issues. Even permanent blindness.
(I'm only theorizing that this is what you have from the limited information)
My general rule of thumb is if it screws in like a normal incandescent light bulb, it's not a suitable UVB

ND135

Maryland
Fogging and spraying is also not required if you use a correctly set up closed chamber enclosure
Thanks. She was a gift and given to me in a large glass terrarium. For now, the size is appropriate. I've covered the back and sides with a rainforest green/muted tones background and for now using the sprayer and fogger to keep her humidity level consistent. I've been learning a lot and looking for the type of chamber online that you mention.

Again, thank you for caring and for the information. I'll post an enclosure pic when I can.

ND135

Maryland
If you have some free time, feel free to search "coiled bulbs" here on the forum.
We have many stories of pet shops and even vets reccomending these harmful lights. And many stories of eye issues. Even permanent blindness.
(I'm only theorizing that this is what you have from the limited information)
My general rule of thumb is if it screws in like a normal incandescent light bulb, it's not a suitable UVB
Thank you for your theory! The light that you attached previously is indeed the light ("terrarium hood" by Zoo Med) that I am using. It does not screw in - its a long tube. The Veterinarian recommended that very bulb and I ordered it when we got home from our first visit. I use the ceramic heat emitters (not bulbs) to give heat. They do screw in like a normal light bulb, they give no light just heat. I have read that they wear out over time so I have my calendar flagged to check and replace them.

The fogger and sprayer are ok for now. I'm learning a lot and know I need to plan ahead for another enclosure. This forum is great. I didn't expect a tortoise or even ask for one this Christmas but she is my baby! So I'm getting educated. Thanks!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks. She was a gift and given to me in a large glass terrarium. For now, the size is appropriate. I've covered the back and sides with a rainforest green/muted tones background and for now using the sprayer and fogger to keep her humidity level consistent. I've been learning a lot and looking for the type of chamber online that you mention.

Again, thank you for caring and for the information. I'll post an enclosure pic when I can.
A closed chamber enclosure is a design only and can be made pretty easily.
Its closed. With a top. And releases its own humidity as the water inside evaporates