New to this!

Ksimpson1377

Location (City and/or State)
Locust Grove va
Hi! I am knew to sulcatas! These are our two. Unsure on age of the bigger one. We have a vet appointment in a couple weeks for well checks. Any thoughts on how they look? Why is the little one so much darker on its head and shell?
1000047198.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First thing you need to do ASAP is get them housed separately.
They both need to be in their own closed chamber enclosure with 80% humidity.
The bigger one has a lot of pyramiding already which means he was raised dry
The little one has some barely starting so you can get that to stop if you move quick to house them properly.
Please read our caresheet under the sulcata section and closed chamber

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome!🐢💚

As wellington has said, these two need separating into their own closed chamber set ups. Tortoise of any species should NEVER be housed in pairs under any circumstances, they’re incredibly territorial, behaviours that look cute to us really aren’t, following one another and sleeping huddled up is all bullying the the tortoise world, you’ll eventually see more extreme signs of aggression. Anyone who tells you pairs are fine, have no idea what they’re talking about.

Small groups are ok when there’s lots of land and the correct male to female ratio.

The smaller one could become significantly stunted under the stress, if that’s not already happening.

Hopefully you’ll find this thread I made useful, I go over correct equipment, levels, appropriately maintaining humidity, there’s lots of visual examples and a good diet link to check out🙂

This is the other care sheet mentioned above

This one is also good to get familiar with, it’ll help you avoid the wrong bulbs, materials, housing etc

Hope they help! Feel free to come back with more questions, they’ll always be someone around to help😊

Ksimpson1377

Locust Grove va
First thing you need to do ASAP is get them housed separately.
They both need to be in their own closed chamber enclosure with 80% humidity.
The bigger one has a lot of pyramiding already which means he was raised dry
The little one has some barely starting so you can get that to stop if you move quick to house them properly.
Please read our caresheet under the sulcata section and closed chamber
Thank you! They were just given to us this week by a family member who no longer could care for them and couldn't find them a home. We are debating keeping them or rehoming since they are such a big commitment but want to make sure they are cared for properly in the meantime. I have been researching nonstop since then but there is alot of conflicting information out there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you! They were just given to us this week by a family member who no longer could care for them and couldn't find them a home. We are debating keeping them or rehoming since they are such a big commitment but want to make sure they are cared for properly in the meantime. I have been researching nonstop since then but there is alot of conflicting information out there.
Yes there is a lot of conflicting info out there. Do your research on this forum. We have the most up to date info and from long time tortoise owners that did their own experiments to figure out the best way to raise tortoises to be smooth and healthy.
They are a huge commitment and need lots of room. Specially with two sulcatas that each need their own enclosure.
They are easier to rehome at the size they are now than as larger adults, if that's what you decide to do. At 10 inches they can live outside but will each need a large heated shed for winters.
This forum will help you in any questions you have in keeping them or can help to rehome them.
Good luck.

Reactions: Ink

Ksimpson1377

Locust Grove va
Yes, we have plenty of space (100+acres we would justt haveto put a good fence up) for them and a building that could be modified they could have. I don't want to rehome to someone who is going to end up in the same situation I'm in either. Any guess on how old the bigger one is?
Yes there is a lot of conflicting info out there. Do your research on this forum. We have the most up to date info and from long time tortoise owners that did their own experiments to figure out the best way to raise tortoises to be smooth and healthy.
They are a huge commitment and need lots of room. Specially with two sulcatas that each need their own enclosure.
They are easier to rehome at the size they are now than as larger adults, if that's what you decide to do. At 10 inches they can live outside but will each need a large heated shed for winters.
This forum will help you in any questions you have in keeping them or can help to rehome them.
Good luck.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yes, we have plenty of space (100+acres we would justt haveto put a good fence up) for them and a building that could be modified they could have. I don't want to rehome to someone who is going to end up in the same situation I'm in either. Any guess on how old the bigger one is?
The larger one could be 3-5 years old or even more depending upon how it was kept. Less than ideal conditions result in slower growth so that one may be small for its actual age. How long is the larger tortoise? It appears about 6" to me, but with nothing in the photo to show scale, that's just an educated guess.

Do you know the age of the smaller one? it looks about 2 years old to me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's hard to say the age. When they don't have ideal conditions, they don't grow as fast as they should.
In ideal conditions, they are usually around 10 inches bottom shell head to tail by 2-3 years old.
If you get them set up correctly and with a good diet, they will catch up if they are small for their actual age.
Sounds like you have the room to do good by them.

Ksimpson1377

Locust Grove va
The bigger one is 5 inches and the smaller one is just under 3 inches. Me and the kids just came in from collecting 2x4s and 4x4s to make a new/bigger box for the older one.... would 6'x3' be good for the size it is? I attached more pictures of them and what they are currently in. It is definitely too small

Attachments

• 20240924_094631.jpg
    20240924_094631.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240924_094641.jpg
    20240924_094641.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240924_094701.jpg
    20240924_094701.jpg
    1,021 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240924_094736.jpg
    20240924_094736.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240924_094745.jpg
    20240924_094745.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
There is unfortunately so so much misinformation out there! I know first hand what a mind field that is, I know as a newer member it’s understandably difficult to trust us when we say this should be your best only source of information, but trust me stick around and you’ll see why! Every other source at least has some outdated information mixed in, whereas here that’s not the case(you have to check the dates of the posts obviously)
The bigger one is 5 inches and the smaller one is just under 3 inches. Me and the kids just came in from collecting 2x4s and 4x4s to make a new/bigger box for the older one.... would 6'x3' be good for the size it is? I attached more pictures of them and what they are currently in. It is definitely too small
That sizing sounds fine for the size they each are for now, I’d definitely make them closed chambers with some sort of topper for whatever the plan is🙂Oh also I’d switch that water dish to a terracotta saucer asap, those dishes can be quite hazardous unfortunately

Ksimpson1377

Locust Grove va
There is unfortunately so so much misinformation out there! I know first hand what a mind field that is, I know as a newer member it’s understandably difficult to trust us when we say this should be your best only source of information, but trust me stick around and you’ll see why! Every other source at least has some outdated information mixed in, whereas here that’s not the case(you have to check the dates of the posts obviously)

That sizing sounds fine for the size they each are for now, I’d definitely make them closed chambers with some sort of topper for whatever the plan is🙂Oh also I’d switch that water dish to a terracotta saucer asap, those dishes can be quite hazardous unfortunately
Curious what is the hazard ? And what sizd saucer? Like big or small? I had a smaller dish in there but then the little one especially kept going all the way in and soaking in it (I assume) and i didn't think it was big enough.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Curious what is the hazard ? And what sizd saucer? Like big or small? I had a smaller dish in there but then the little one especially kept going all the way in and soaking in it (I assume) and i didn't think it was big enough.
Because of the steeper sides, they can be a flipping hazard and due to the lack of traction in these kind of dishes, it can make it difficult for the tortoise to right itself. There’s been multiple cases.
The terracotta saucers have grip and shallower sides, making it easier for tortoise to self soak😊one big enough so the tortoise can fit itself in there is fine, they don’t have to be deep👍

Ksimpson1377

Locust Grove va
Because of the steeper sides, they can be a flipping hazard and due to the lack of traction in these kind of dishes, it can make it difficult for the tortoise to right itself. There’s been multiple cases.
The terracotta saucers have grip and shallower sides, making it easier for tortoise to self soak😊one big enough so the tortoise can fit itself in there is fine, they don’t have to be deep👍
Oh okay makes sense. Thank you!