New tortoise mum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Those lights are the absolute worst kind you can use. If it were my tortoise I would discard them immediately and get either a heat lamp plus a long tube fluorescent or an MVB (mercury vapor bulb has heat and UVB all in one bulb).

Harrietsmum

ah Thankyou meet Harriet she must have been really hungry she ate loads of dandelion leaves endive, rocket clover, and cucumber then ate loads of cuttlefish had a drink, wandered round and is now sleeping shes had a lovely soak for 10 mins only because she hated it and wanted to get out, she is adorable, I was told about the bulb I have a tube one on order so will be changed asap

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
ah Thankyou meet Harriet she must have been really hungry she ate loads of dandelion leaves endive, rocket clover, and cucumber then ate loads of cuttlefish had a drink, wandered round and is now sleeping shes had a lovely soak for 10 mins only because she hated it and wanted to get out, she is adorable, I was told about the bulb I have a tube one on order so will be changed asap
And please throw away the coil bulb now. They cause blindness & sometimes the death of a tortoise :(

Harrietsmum

Those lights are the absolute worst kind you can use. If it were my tortoise I would discard them immediately and get either a heat lamp plus a long tube fluorescent or an MVB (mercury vapor bulb has heat and UVB all in one bulb).
I have strip light on order thanks for the advice though I appreciate all the help I can get.
Hi Thankyou for your advise but ive decided to stick with the sand soil mix as it is reccomended on the care sheet for this type of tortoise when i decide tochange it i ma tryr soil only. i tried the soil and didnt like the look of it so went back to the mix, the soil was really dirty lookin

Last edited:

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I have strip light on order thanks for the advice though I appreciate all the help I can get.

Hi Thankyou for your advise but ive decided to stick with the sand soil mix as it is reccomended on the care sheet for this type of tortoise when i decide tochange it i will get soil only. i tried the soil only and didnt like it so went back to the mix, the soil was really dirty lookin
The reason a lot of people do not recommend sand in substrate is because they may cause impactions for a tortoise because tortoises may accidentally eat sand with the substrate or eat it because of a mineral deficiency. Tortoise owners in some places use sand, but there is no reason to do so :) It won't look dirty if you add plants (real or fake).

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
should I get rid of the bulb now and wait until the strip light arrives 4 days or so
Yes you should :D A tortoise will not need a UVB bulb if he has access to natural sunlight (not filtered from a window) for an hour a day!

Harrietsmum

hi strip light is cancelled I have ordered arcadia 100 watt uvb d3 mercury heat combination bulb at great expense I may add I hope ive got it right this time when it comes will I take the basking light out or will I use both, how often should I feed Harrie shes 3yrs old and weighs 275 grams

Last edited:

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
hi strip light is cancelled I have ordered arcadia 100 watt uvb d3 mercury heat combination bulb at great expense I may add I hope ive got it right this time when it comes will I take the basking light out or will I use both, how often should I feed Harrie shes 3yrs old and weighs 275 grams
Feed daily, the exact amount varies... I just feed mine till he's full :p

Harrietsmum

The arcadia bulb is in its not as hot as the combination I had but Harriet is still happy it is 88 degrees but seems to be warming up more of her table is this ok, ive planted a spider plant in her table she is ignoring it I am glad to say as its for shade when it grows.

Attachments

• 20140829_204710.jpg
    20140829_204710.jpg
    716.5 KB · Views: 16