weight gain

Harrietsmum

Please advise, Harriet is a very active 3yr old spur thigh tortoise ive had her 10 days and shes gained 40 grams in weight am I over feeding her, it seems a lot, she eats endive, rocket, cress, dandelion leaves clover a bit cucumber a little bitof tomato only once she doesnt like them, she nibbles on cuttlefish and likes grazing on grass Iis this too much

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think she's probably just a growing girl. If your habitat is not big enough for exercise, tortoises tend to get fat from eating and not exercising.

Harrietsmum

It is quite a small habitat but she gets to literally run round the garden every other day while the weather is holding up I am going to increase the size of her table for the winter when I can't let her outside, she has free roam of the garden right now, I just follow her around, but my husband is going to build her outdoor enclosure in the next month , I just want the best for her and don't want her to be fat or worse unhealt
hy thankyou so much I feel better knowing im not creating problems for her, she does love her food x