New Tortoise Red Foot

Janelle Green

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Welcome.
He/She looks pretty good right now, but will need to be housed in a much larger enclosure. One that can hold humidity.
humidity is important. You want above 75% humidity for a Redfoot.
I got her in a big indoor enclosure this picture was taking outside in my small fall outdoor enclosures , took me a few days but I finally got the humidity right

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I got her in a big indoor enclosure this picture was taking outside in my small fall outdoor enclosures , took me a few days but I finally got the humidity right
Getting the humidity to hold at the right level is a big deal. Everything else you encounter will be simpler now.

Janelle Green

Colorado
image.jpeg She's a lot smaller than I thought about 5inches. We probably over paid for her but it's hard to find tortoises in Colorado especially species other than Russians my husband did talk them down $100 so we paid $250 for her and she's really healthy but was kept with a leopard tortoise the day we got her so I'm going to call my vet get her a check up. But here's miss Foxy such a beauty been a gorgeous fall this year in Colorado 73 today and sunny

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
She's very smooth, it looks like she was brought up well. I've only paid for one of my tortoises here in OR, my Ruby was $100, the rest have all been dumped on my by people who wouldn't care properly for them in this climate. :mad:

I feed boiled eggs, chicken, and earth worms for protein. My guys also all go bonkers for Mazuri kibble (the original, not the LS) and pretty much any fruit makes them think it's Christmas morning. Spoiled monsters. I like the flexibility in their diet compared other torts who are strict herbivores.

Janelle Green

Colorado
She's very smooth, it looks like she was brought up well. I've only paid for one of my tortoises here in OR, my Ruby was $100, the rest have all been dumped on my by people who wouldn't care properly for them in this climate. :mad:
I added some hard boiled eggs to her dinner tonight and she's loving it. I got a list printed out on my fridge of all the foods for red foots
I feed boiled eggs, chicken, and earth worms for protein. My guys also all go bonkers for Mazuri kibble (the original, not the LS) and pretty much any fruit makes them think it's Christmas morning. Spoiled monsters. I like the flexibility in their diet compared other torts who are strict herbivores.
I

Janelle Green

Colorado
She is absolutely beautiful! No pyramiding whatsoever!! Looks healthy to me, but I've never owned an RF.
Ya her shells in great condition so I didn't mind paying $250 they wanted $350 and took 100 off for us, it was a reptile store in Denver Co. We love her so much already , she's got a great personality very friendly just calm sweet. ❤️

Janelle Green

Colorado
image.jpeg I went shopping tonight with the list of food for red foots and got her delicious organic food for the week ❤️Mangos. Bell pepper. Black berries . Mushrooms . Spring mix . And 1 hard boiled egg. Wish me luck I believe she was on a pellet diet so this fresh food is all new to her

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Hello and welcome! Absolutely beautiful redfoot. Congratulations!

We were just talking about this in another thread, but the initial investment for a tortoise (i.e purchase price) is totally irrelevant as long as you are happy with the animal, because you will spend that same amount a hundred times over on continual care for your new pet. As you can see, I am sure your organic grocery bill lightened the wallet nicely......

What kind of pellets did they have her on? You may have to gradually ween her off by mixing them in with new foods, or she may just begin devouring the fruits/veggies no questions asked. All RF are different with their personalities and eating habits; stubbornness generally the common denominator with all of them haha.

Thanks for sharing, and again, WELCOME!