new with dog bite problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharron

5 Year Member
Can anybody help and advise me, my tortoises have been bite my my dog. Cleo and Marley have been to the vet for a flushing out the wounds and injected with an antiobiotics, and dressed the small wound, but I am so concerned.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sharron:

Welcome to the forum!!

Its a hard lesson to learn and I'm sorry that you had to learn it the hard way. Dogs and tortoises don't mix. But I'm very glad that you were able to get them in to see a vet.

Just be sure to complete all the directions he gave you, and administer the antibiotics for the length of time he told you to. Keep the wounds clean and don't allow flies on them, so keep them indoors. There's a good cream that helps to heal those kinds of wounds called Silvadene cream. You have to get it from the vet.

Can we see pictures? And what kind of tortoises are they? Where are you located?

Good luck and I hope the tortoises get well soon.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Don't be too hard on the dog either, tortoise shells are highly irresistible to them. A hard lesson to be learn by you, the dog, and the tortoises. Hope it will be an easy fix to be sure this won't happen again. How serious was the damage?

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear of the accident at home, but it sounds like you knew exactly what to do by taking them to the vet. Follow the vets instructions and be sure their habitat is where it needs to be and you should all do just fine. What kind of torts are they? May we see some pics when you are able?

Status
Not open for further replies.