Newbie help please

jazzabella147

Hello
This forum has been really useful for me getting information over the last few weeks prior to picking up our new family member on Saturday!
So, it is a 6 month old horsefield tortoise, I've bought a 3ft by 2ft open top table and I've pretty much done so many hours research I've got it all down apart from, do i need the 100watt or 160watt megaray bulb?! And I'm going to purchase the exo terra glow clamp lamp, but what size?!
I'll post pics when he's with us, thanks in advance for any help!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Welcome to tortoise forum.
Over the coming weeks you'll find you have lots of questions and worries. Well, this is the place to come.
this forum has experts like Tom and many others who are very happy to share their wealth of experience and offer good advice. They would rather you asked the question, however trivial it may seem to you, than worry or let your tortoise suffer.
He, or she,(The tortoise, not Tom) will bring you untold pleasure and you will be hooked for life, and of course, they can live that long.
It's a big commitment, but definitely worth every second and dollar. See if you can get a slightly larger enclosure, actually the bigger the better as they need a LOT of space, and an outdoor one too.
Your life is about to change for the better.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Welcome! I hope you post pictures of your new baby. Baby Russians are adorable!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hello, welcome.
Be careful with the clamp fixtures, I've seen cases where a clamp fails, lamp falls into enclosure, fire starts, not good, I know many who use clamps but keep them rigged with something in case it lets go. I personally use hanging lamps.
Also I agree on bigger, the sizes keep changing but I believe the current size seen as minimum for an adult Russian is 6'X3' That being said not going to lie my adult is currently in an enclosure around 40 gal sized and ok, but I would not suggest it and as soon as I move he'll be getting giant custom indoor enclosure paradise. But I think for a little while at least your enclosure will give you a little more control when first learning, but that's my opinion and may make no sense to experienced tortoise people.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, welcome.
Be careful with the clamp fixtures, I've seen cases where a clamp fails, lamp falls into enclosure, fire starts, not good, I know many who use clamps but keep them rigged with something in case it lets go. I personally use hanging lamps.
Also I agree on bigger, the sizes keep changing but I believe the current size seen as minimum for an adult Russian is 6'X3' That being said not going to lie my adult is currently in an enclosure around 40 gal sized and ok, but I would not suggest it and as soon as I move he'll be getting giant custom indoor enclosure paradise. But I think for a little while at least your enclosure will give you a little more control when first learning, but that's my opinion and may make no sense to experienced tortoise people.
smarch is quite correct, we can't all provide ideal conditions immediately, due to time, money, space etc., we just do the best we can, it's all very well saying your tortoise needs 10' by 8' minimum or whatever, but must people can't do it, at least not at first. Start with the best you can and add to it, change when you can, no one can ask for more.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
smarch is quite correct, we can't all provide ideal conditions immediately, due to time, money, space etc., we just do the best we can, it's all very well saying your tortoise needs 10' by 8' minimum or whatever, but must people can't do it, at least not at first. Start with the best you can and add to it, change when you can, no one can ask for more.
Yeah, I was one of the people told by a pet store worker that 20 gal, is sufficient and that's what he kept his in... that was the only reason I knew I could take home a tortoise... then 2 weeks later I found this site and learned much otherwise.
The problem is most people don't always know from the start what they need to properly care... then realize it after they have their beloved tortoise and cant give the best at the time. Thankfully at the time I was 19 when I got him, I knew in a few years id be able to give him better... we're still waiting but hopefully by next year we'll be moved into our own place... me and my guard tortoise lol

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
A word of caution about the clamp lamps. For no apparent reason mine sagged right over sending my burning hot lamp down into the enclosure. Luckily my tortoise was nowhere near and I was! Anyhow, I use a couple small screws in the back of my wood enclosure to ensure the clamp can't tip like that again.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It will be in shock for sure. So am I. keep it warm and moist and clean til someone finds a mod.