Newbie Here! Yet another one LOL

Egwene

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
So as of this Wed the 24th I will own 2 small sulcatas. I have been wanting one for years however afraid to get small ones because of stress when flown or transported. Finally found someone local who can take care of my wishes just a little over an hour drive away. They are from 2 different clutches so one will be different age by about a month. Pretty excited. Did a lot of research starting 8 or 9 years ago but all newbie assistance is happily accepted.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Welcome to the forum!! Very exciting.
You will want to read all of @toms threads on this species, housing, diet, etc.
You're in the right place.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum! We have quite a few Oregonians in our midst.

Please be sure to read all the pinned threads shown at the top of our Sulcata section. We have new and cutting edge info on how to care for baby sulcata tortoises. Probably info you'll not see anywhere else.

Be on the lookout for what I call 'mental bullying.' Tortoises don't do well in pairs. They are territorial and a more dominant baby will try to tell the more submissive baby to get out of his territory. Because they are contained, he can't get out and he may just stay hidden all the time and stop eating. You don't necessarily SEE actual fighting. It's more a mental conversation between the two.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome. 2 Sulcatas, how exciting. There is a lot of bad info out there, so be sure to read the care guides in the Sulcata section and ask lots of questions. Good to have you here. Looking forward to pictures.

Egwene

Oregon
Thank you everyone :) Will read Toms threads tonight while relaxing

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). We love getting newbies, specially ones that do their home work first:D. Tom's threads are below in my post if you have a problem finding them.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings and welcome! Two small cute sullys now means two monstrous torts in a few short years. Are you planning on two separate enclosures, two separate outdoor areas, etc? Everything here on the forum pretty much discourages "pairs" of torts, especially sulcutas. Make sure to take and upload lots of pix! Welcome!

Egwene

Oregon
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I have been reading, reading and reading some more. After all this reading and yes Maro2Bear your post just now, I am thinking perhaps I should go with just the one. Yes I have room for 2 enclosures 2 pens etc but I would prefer to keep together if I get 2 need to decide tonight and let the guy know tho. I am on almost 2 acres but I also have 2 goats, a miniature horse, 2 dogs and a cat. Perhaps I should start with one. The reason for thinking 2 was I couldn't decide on which one to take. I know 2 CAN get along and these will most likely be females due to high temp incubation. I know some people like aesthetic shell but I also like the irregular pattern. If I choose only one is there any reason not to choose one over the other? These are the guys to choose from turtles.jpg

Egwene

Oregon
oh and Yvonne your comment made me look further into this to start with

Egwene

Oregon
Thank you Johnsonnboswell now when choosing which one, the ones that have a variation to the shell vs the ones that are more in line is there a difference in health? More prone to disease? Or is it more just what a person likes as far as looks? How bout light or dark coloring? Does any of this make a difference?