Normal discharge or sick

Elvis Fan

Location (City and/or State)
Whittier
This is the second time I have seen this whitish, milky stuff. My desert Tortoise (15-20 year adult) has been out and about for a week, now. He has been grazing on St Augustine and some Bermuda, Panzies. He hasn't gone after the Hibiscus, Geranium or Marigolds, as much as I have noticed. At around two pm every day, I put out a salad of Endive, Romaine, very small amounts of chopped red bell pepper & graded carrot and all mixed with a half a handful of Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise food. I'm hoping this to be normal discharge.

Attachments

• Discharge.jpg
    Discharge.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 9

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Do you mean when he pees?
Yes that's normal they're urates they shouldn't be gritty at all. If they are it means the tort is dehydrated and needs more soaking and access to clean water or even soak his food before feeding to hydrate it.

Elvis Fan

Whittier
Whew! Okay. I have never seen a Tortoise pee before so I was clueless. Nervous-nellie here just wanted to be sure that's what it was and not vomit. Thanks!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you look in the Species Specific Section you'll find a caresheet for your tort which will help you with diet, temps, substrates, humidity etc One of most experienced keepers also posted this which is up to date and includes Desert Torts.

If you post a pic of his enclosure you'll get great advice to make sure he is as safe and healthy as possible.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Whew! Okay. I have never seen a Tortoise pee before so I was clueless. Nervous-nellie here just wanted to be sure that's what it was and not vomit. Thanks!
Mine usually pees in his soak and the urates are floaty and creamy or slimy if on the ground.

Elvis Fan

Whittier
If you look in the Species Specific Section you'll find a caresheet for your tort which will help you with diet, temps, substrates, humidity etc One of most experienced keepers also posted this which is up to date and includes Desert Torts.

If you post a pic of his enclosure you'll get great advice to make sure he is as safe and healthy as possible.
Thanks for the help. Reassuring.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
This is the second time I have seen this whitish, milky stuff. My desert Tortoise (15-20 year adult) has been out and about for a week, now. He has been grazing on St Augustine and some Bermuda, Panzies. He hasn't gone after the Hibiscus, Geranium or Marigolds, as much as I have noticed. At around two pm every day, I put out a salad of Endive, Romaine, very small amounts of chopped red bell pepper & graded carrot and all mixed with a half a handful of Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise food. I'm hoping this to be normal discharge.
Welcome to the forum, Elvis Fan. We love photos!!

Elvis Fan

Whittier

Super helpful. Many thanks!