Ojai Sulcata Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texastort

10 Year Member!
Ok, I have been reading the Ojai Sulcata Project website after Tom mentioned it in an earlier post. It's a great site with a lot of information, but it honestly seems counter to what we all talk about here as best practice for keeping sulcatas. They don't recommend soaking, artificial uv light or warm night time temps. Just curious what you all think about this site. I tend to be a more naturalist keeper as all of my torts are outdoors. Other than a warm tort house at night, I let nature take care of their nutritional needs and supplement other foods really only for fun because they eat out of my hand. however I think there is something to be said about providing the absolute best care that is talked about regularly here.

Here is the link:
http://ojaisulcataproject.org/

Thoughts?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Very good to take in as many opinions as possible to come to your own choices and decisions for a routine....:D

Texastort

10 Year Member!
ascott said:
Very good to take in as many opinions as possible to come to your own choices and decisions for a routine....:D

Agreed!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
It seems like they live in an optimal environment where mud baths replace soak's and the tortoises sun themselves and graze all day. There is no need for UV or inside enclosures. In the Spring summer and as far into fall as can go I try to let them sun, soak and graze all day too.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Boy! Does Angela hit the nail on the head every time...or what?!?! Tom and I were out there last weekend...to see Tomas Diagne, sure...but just as much to witness firsthand what Dave preaches and practices! Fortunately, it was an hour drive...so Tom and I discussed this WHOLE thing (ad nauseum). So, everybody, keep an open mind. Listen to all the facts (and speculation...and theories). Then form your own conclusion. That's all I have to say for now.

SPOILER ALERT: Tom has been working on a thread for more than a week...and I'm not gonna step on his toes...I'll leave the rest to him!

M

Maggie Cummings

I am FASCINATED by what this guy says. I agree with most of what he says and have been saying some of what he says for years. We need to pay more attention to him. I especially agree with what he says about soaking and passing the poop thru the system to fast so the tort can't process it's nutrients. So much of what he says, *I* have been saying and people laugh at me or don't believe me. This guy validates so much of what I believe.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
wow.. i want to go there! i have room to do some of that.. and its a vision of mine.. but i want to know more about their fencing, and grouping.. do they fight?
Their fencing doesnt look like solid fencing most have...does it cause a problem? ever?

Katherine

5 Year Member
Since sulcatas have not been kept as captive pets for very long, there is not a whole lot of concrete scientific arguments for optimal care. I am very grateful for places like Ojai Sulcata Project for sharing their experiences and recommendations. I do not expect that anyone will completely agree on the best standard of care possible without many many more years of tortoise keeping to reflect on. I think its very important to look objectively at any advice given to us (regardless of the source) and make the most informed decisions possible for our animals. The more diverse the views on tortoise keeping are the more likely we are to discover what works best : )

ascott said:

^ couldn't have said it better ^

Texastort

10 Year Member!
katherine said:
Since sulcatas have not been kept as captive pets for very long, there is not a whole lot of concrete scientific arguments for optimal care. I am very grateful for places like Ojai Sulcata Project for sharing their experiences and recommendations. I do not expect that anyone will completely agree on the best standard of care possible without many many more years of tortoise keeping to reflect on. I think its very important to look objectively at any advice given to us (regardless of the source) and make the most informed decisions possible for our animals. The more diverse the views on tortoise keeping are the more likely we are to discover what works best : )

ascott said:

Yes totally agreed. I am now somewhat confused as to what is best for our animals. I agree, the Ojai set up seems like a perfect, very natural environment that most of us can't provide. My experience with these guys is that they are so forgiving and adaptable, but I still want to create the best possible environment for them.

I can attest that they can survive freezing temps as well. Three of mine somehow got out on Saturday night and I found them scattered around the yard after a night in the upper 20s. They were as cold as ice and when i picked them up I thought they were dead. About 30 minutes in their heated tort house, they were back to normal and eating like nothing happened.

These are amazing animals!

^ couldn't have said it better ^

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I was wondering also about the soaking and how my Sully defecates every single time, and he doesnt drink during soaks either so I worry it may be doing more harm than good, but as a first time keeper I dont feel comfortable stoping, so many experienced keepers swear babies need soaking daily

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
So much more to think about, but I agree you should always take in all the different things you are told and figure out what works best for you and your situation..

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Texastort said:
It's a great site with a lot of information, but it honestly seems counter to what we all talk about here as best practice for keeping sulcatas.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the link, I have not seen this web-site before.

I think it's good to research others viewpoints. What may be a "best practice" for one will not be the same for another, so it's good to get a full spectrum of opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.