Old bed = enclosed chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I am on my way to Michigan on Sunday to get a 6 month old Sulcata from TFO member Adam!

After a lot of research, I decided that an enclosed chamber was the winner. Seemed like the best possible way to maintain heat & humidity for the new little guy.
My Husband & I started work on this enclosed chamber. We used a twin bed with drawer bottom for the base. It was just sitting in one of our extra bedrooms not being used & it made the perfect base for storage & height off the cooler basement floor. The basement is huge & heated so I am sectioning off a 12X20 room for a winter Home for the Sully & Russian (separated). Inside space for the new tank is 6x3 & once Sully outgrows, I will move my Russian into it & add a second story. RT is in a 4x3 now & is 4”
We then purchased a double pane 6x3 window for the front from a re-sell store. We had a lot of wood laying around to complete the rest! I sealed it with a Kilz, no fume, mold guard that was water based, also lined the bottom with a plastic tarp & silicone the edges. We have another plastic trim piece that will line the bottom perimeter. Once this all really dries, I will add the top soil & coco core to start warming that all up.
The furnace sits to the side of the new enclosure & duck work runs right over top so we are thinking we will tie a duct into it with a thermostat to keep at 80. I have two che's, one for each end, & ordering a new Solar Raptor today. BTW- my solar I am using for my RT is reading at 160. My 100 W Power sun at the same height & brand new was only at 60..... Totally worth the $ if you live in a frozen waste land like me.
Will post more pics as I add the "furniture" Appreciate any feed back or additional Ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_5348.JPG
    IMG_5348.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 564
  • IMG_5351.JPG
    IMG_5351.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 572
  • IMG_5352.JPG
    IMG_5352.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 526
  • IMG_5359.JPG
    IMG_5359.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 563

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The bulb in the far right side, what is it?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Jacqui said:
The bulb in the far right side, what is it?

That's just a grow light I used to determine the right height of the center bar! Would not use the coil bulb for the torts.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Its funny you should post this. Just yesterday I was thinking of how a twin bed would be a great start to an indoor enclosure for my boxies.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
lisa127 said:
Its funny you should post this. Just yesterday I was thinking of how a twin bed would be a great start to an indoor enclosure for my boxies.

Yep, I was just looking at it thinking, why not! It actually worked out really well & was easy to tie into the rest. Perfect height to since I am really short at 5'1"!

wellington said:
Looks great. Sounds like you got a great plan for now and down the road.

Thank you!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Topsoil & some "furniture" added. Also planted wheat grass (the little white dots everywhere) I have a grazing mix & broadleaf mix coming but will be starting those in my new green house that will be in the Tort room as well. Currently have a grow room in the basement but I cant keep the heat in there as much as I would like with the door shut & my cats are holy terrors so I cant leave it open... I got this instead.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057LZ17E/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Coco Core, two new Che's, & a new Solar Raptor unit should all be in in the next couple days!

Attachments

• IMG_5362.JPG
    IMG_5362.JPG
    977.9 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_5365.JPG
    IMG_5365.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 282

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
I really like what you did with that bed - it's awesome!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Added in the coco core & two che's. I have monitored the temps all night & so far I am only getting 85 under one che & 80 under the other. They are 12 inches from the base & that is a little too close I think...The rest of the chamber is between 70 & 75.

The topsoil was just thawed when I put it in yesterday afternoon but it seems "room temp" now.

I want to eventually tie our furnace into it with a duct & thermostat, but do not think I will get that done by the time I get my new guy on sun.....

Any tips on the best way to bring heat up? Should I remove one of the che's & get a powersun to replace? I have a solar raptor UV set up coming but they do not put out much heat.

Attachments

• IMG_5367.JPG
    IMG_5367.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_5368.JPG
    IMG_5368.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 198

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Actually, those temps are perfect for a Russian. And I love the ingenuity of this thing! Nice job!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Ugh, my laptop went into super slow mode, so I will have to remember to come back and check out the newest picture updates!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
DeanS said:
Actually, those temps are perfect for a Russian. And I love the ingenuity of this thing! Nice job!

Thank You!!!! This one is for my new 6 month old Sulcata though, so I have to bring it up. Just not sure the best way to do so.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
All done & ready for my new little one. Temps are now ranging from 80 to 105 in the basking area. Still have one or two small cooler spots in the mid 70's. Hide 1 is 85 Hide two is 77.

Attachments

• IMG_5398.JPG
    IMG_5398.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_5397.JPG
    IMG_5397.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 211

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Grass coming in really well & I invested in a reptifogger to get the humidity up to 80%. Its now been a week & Harper is coming out to explore more. particularly likes to sit in her water dish under her power sun light.

Attachments

• IMG_5417.JPG
    IMG_5417.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 154

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
So cool! I wish I had the ability to build something like that!! Way to get creative! This is EXACTLY the kind of indoor enclosure I've been wanting too. Want to come to WA and build one?! :)

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
That's awesome! How 'bout you come over and build one? :D You can stay at my place; where there's always cold beer and cactus. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.