OMG !!! Look what I just found ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern part of Sweden
I was bringing in all my redfoots for the night into the indoor enclosure, and when I opened the top terrarium, this little guy was just sitting there and looked at me !

bonus_hatchling1.jpg bonus_hatchling2.jpg

I knew it was strange that one of my latest females only laid one egg in the nest, I must have missed one out ? Here are the remanings of the egg...

bonus_hatchling3.jpg

The little guy had absorbed his yolk sac completly, so he must be at least one week old approx. I wonder where he has been hiding, but since he was so dirty, it was really easy to miss him !

So I put him in the nursery incubator, and he started to dig and move around almost directly. He became very active and I gave him dandelions, a really good soak, water and a quick shower inside the incubator. He has now been drinking a lot and started to eat like he was starving...

bonus_hatchling4.jpg bonus_hatchling5.jpg

He's not really clean yet, but I'll just leave him there for the night so he can warm up and recover.

bonus_hatchling6.jpg

This has never happened to me before, so I am still amazed...It was a real bonus ! Never thought this was possible, but the thing is that since this was my top terrarium, the heat from the lower one beneith has probably been warming up the egg and has kept it quite steady temp for five months. A miracle that the three "bulldozers" hasn't cracked the egg during those five moths ?

Just thought I should share it with you all ?

Last edited by a moderator:

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
There is nothing better than finding an unexpected baby! Congrats!!!!

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
What a great little surprise! That happened to my mother once with a box turtlle. She was cleaning up some weeds and she unrooted one and out fell this yearling boxie!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Now thats always a SWEEET surprise! ..... How Neat~O :p:D:)

JD~

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Geochelone_Carbonaria said:
I was bringing in all my redfoots for the night into the indoor enclosure, and when I opened the top terrarium, this little guy was just sitting there and looked at me !

I knew it was strange that one of my latest females only laid one egg in the nest, I must have missed one out ? Here are the remanings of the egg...

The little guy had absorbed his yolk sac completly, so he must be at least one week old approx. I wonder where he has been hiding, but since he was so dirty, it was really easy to miss him !

So I put him in the nursery incubator, and he started to dig and move around almost directly. He became very active and I gave him dandelions, a really good soak, water and a quick shower inside the incubator. He has now been drinking a lot and started to eat like he was starving...

He's not really clean yet, but I'll just leave him there for the night so he can warm up and recover.

This has never happened to me before, so I am still amazed...It was a real bonus ! Never thought this was possible, but the thing is that since this was my top terrarium, the heat from the lower one beneith has probably been warming up the egg and has kept it quite steady temp for five months. A miracle that the three "bulldozers" hasn't cracked the egg during those five moths ?

Just thought I should share it with you all ?

What a perfectly sweet surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.