Opo 2.0

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Well a disappointing weigh in.
Opo only went from 21.6 last month to 22.2 today. His stools are normal and is acting normal. I am confused.
20200301_115725.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I would be happy with the sits still to be weigh part! STill it is a weight gain and he is looking handsome
Thanks, maybe it was not as much grazing time. Feb was our coldest month.

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
He is looking as handsome as ever! He probably just isn’t grazing as much since it’s colder. Bet next month will be a bigger gain ?❤️

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
He is looking as handsome as ever! He probably just isn’t grazing as much since it’s colder. Bet next month will be a bigger gain ?❤️
Thanks Peggy, Opo's grazing was a lot less this last month.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Enjoy while he's small still ? Vlad weighed in at 53lbs last week. He's a tank ?
Wow 53lbs that's great. I have pushed Opo to his limit with him being on the porch and his fenced in area. He is not liking it anymore. He wants out in the whole backyard. I have the shed coming in 2 to 3 weeks and then the fence about a week later.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
He’s so handsome! He will have very sporadic weight gain sometimes... toretto will have a slow month with 1/2lb and then make it up with 2-1/2lbs... How will Opo be affected by your new shed?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
He’s so handsome! He will have very sporadic weight gain sometimes... toretto will have a slow month with 1/2lb and then make it up with 2-1/2lbs... How will Opo be affected by your new shed?
Thanks Heather, I have been hoping for a better weigh in this month.
Opo went right over to the shed. In some places he could just barely get under. But he walked all the way around checking it out. Going under where he could. I will need to put a skirt around the bottom. I am afraid of going to home depot to get the materials with this virus.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Opo went right over to the shed. In some places he could just barely get under. But he walked all the way around checking it out. Going under where he could. I will need to put a skirt around the bottom. I am afraid of going to home depot to get the materials with this virus.

I know that you don’t want to go out, but I was thinking that a few rows of landscaping wall blocks around the base might look pretty nice. You could probably arrange to have them delivered thus limiting your outside contact with “THE INFECTED ONES” .... As long as you have a good visual barrier around the base to start OPO will be less likely to explore, especially if he has a nightbox.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I know that you don’t want to go out, but I was thinking that a few rows of landscaping wall blocks around the base might look pretty nice. You could probably arrange to have them delivered thus limiting your outside contact with “THE INFECTED ONES” .... As long as you have a good visual barrier around the base to start OPO will be less likely to explore, especially if he has a nightbox.

There are many options, but the nice thing is that even the cheapest look great & handle easily. Their smaller size makes them easy to move into place & level.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
You should be !!! DO NOT GO OUT... I had to line Torettos night box with Roofing Tin because one end is about a foot off the ground. I also had to line pickles box but I used lumber for that and painted green to match his box. I used very large rocks where the ramps come down to deter their natural desire to dig under.Mark is right, they will deliver. I bet Opo is going to love all the extra space when he gets the access... but safety first... a few more weeks like he is won’t hurt nothin’... ;-)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
That sounds like a good idea.
I was wanting to use the composite 5/4 decking boards horizontally in dark brown to match the lower trim.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
One nice thing about lining the bottom with wood instead of blocks is it does less damage to their shell as they pace around the perimeter all day. I had originally used cinder blocks outside, but last year I added a inner wooden perimeter to keep him from scraping himself up

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
One nice thing about lining the bottom with wood instead of blocks is it does less damage to their shell as they pace around the perimeter all day. I had originally used cinder blocks outside, but last year I added a inner wooden perimeter to keep him from scraping himself up

Hopefully Rays yard is large enough that Mr Opo won’t be pacing there....but, good point. This is just a barrier around the bottom of the shed, not a fence per se. but....good thinking.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Hopefully Rays yard is large enough that Mr Opo won’t be pacing there....but, good point. This is just a barrier around the bottom of the shed, not a fence per se. but....good thinking.
Ah sorry I misread! It's been hard to keep up with everything lately

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
You should be !!! DO NOT GO OUT... I had to line Torettos night box with Roofing Tin because one end is about a foot off the ground. I also had to line pickles box but I used lumber for that and painted green to match his box. I used very large rocks where the ramps come down to deter their natural desire to dig under.Mark is right, they will deliver. I bet Opo is going to love all the extra space when he gets the access... but safety first... a few more weeks like he is won’t hurt nothin’... ;-)
Yeah I agree, hopefully the fence will be installed a week from today. If the company doesn't shut down because of the virus. Opo has figured out where he can get under the shed and where he cant. Its unbelievable he has the capacity to remember things like that.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
When I was wondering what to use for his outside enclosure. I had mentioned block and remember what you had said about Vladimir scraping against it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
When I was wondering what to use for his outside enclosure. I had mentioned block and remember what you had said about Vladimir scraping against it.

They are more apt to scrape if you are using block on the outside perimeter walls. In your case, you are putting in a “fake” foundation around the base of your new shed to prevent Mr Opo from crawling underneath. Outdoor deck planking (wood or trex) would work well too. Trex won’t require any follow-on maintenance.