Ornate box turtle vendors online?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
Who would you use, recommend, avoid?

I'm thinking of adding an ornate box turtle to my household and wondered which the TFO hivemind have had the best/worst experiences with ....

Thanks,

Jamie

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Jamie
Why would you want to go through a broker or on line seller for a box turtle . When we have members that give great advice everyday on the TFO . And the advice comes from them breeding Box turtles !
Just a thought ![emoji217]

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I asked because I know nothing about box turtles ... I'd much rather get to know about, and eventually get, a box turtle from a TFO member.

The two species I was initially interested in are desert and ornate ... which member pays would I most profitably read to learn about these guys, and eventually about acquiring one or more?

Thanks,

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I asked because I know nothing about box turtles ... I'd much rather get to know about, and eventually get, a box turtle from a TFO member.

The two species I was initially interested in are desert and ornate ... which member pays would I most profitably read to learn about these guys, and eventually about acquiring one or more?

Thanks,

Jamie

Or three-toed ... [emoji6]

J

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I can only own ornates here in GA, all other subspecies are illegal to own. I tried for a few months to find an Ornate hatchling with no luck. Hopefully you'll have better luck than me.

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Jamie
Why would you want to go through a broker or on line seller for a box turtle . When we have members that give great advice everyday on the TFO . And the advice comes from them breeding Box turtles !
Just a thought ![emoji217]

I actually bought my Eastern Box Turtle from a breeder, exotic sales person in Las Vegas and I live in Maryland. I don’t think anything is wrong with that, just sayin. He’s vibrant and healthy. I get what your saying but some people do not readily have them available on the forum right now. Just need to do your research on each Vendor/Breeder before you buy your turtle [emoji16]

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
sent you a pm on a vendor to avoid.

Though Tortoise Town is probably good on normal days I’d totally stay away from them as they pocket your money and give you the run around for 3 weeks [emoji31] just to tell you it could be another 3 weeks without any frequent communication on the matter before hand until you ask for a refund [emoji849]

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I actually bought my Eastern Box Turtle from a breeder, exotic sales person in Las Vegas and I live in Maryland. I don’t think anything is wrong with that, just sayin. He’s vibrant and healthy. I get what your saying but some people do not readily have them available on the forum right now. Just need to do your research on each Vendor/Breeder before you buy your turtle [emoji16]

Andrew is AZ Tortoise Compound . And amember of the TFO ! So please I agree research .[emoji217]

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Andrew is AZ Tortoise Compound . And amember of the TFO ! So please I agree research .[emoji217]

Arizona is pretty good. I think they have some three toed tortoises available right now both hatchlings and above. I actually almost went with that species instead but I was dead set on the more vibrant colors of the Eastern [emoji16]

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
The leg came off on the way to me, i had to have her admitted to an expensive( but the only) exotics vet clinic, where she needed to have the bone and part of the leg amputated, bc it was dying. I'll find the link to my post for you.

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/arizona-tortoise-compound-terrible-experience.141229/

Omg Colleen! What did Arizona do for you? Nothing? I would be so angry! I think this is why a lot of people have reservations about buying reptiles or animals in general across country. Luckily, I know Ken Foos from Exotic Pets LV and he’s worked in the Zoo Husbandry and Captive Bred business for over 30+ years. He takes very good care of the animals and sends them out with care. How’s he/she doing now?

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Omg Colleen! What did Arizona do for you? Nothing? I would be so angry! I think this is why a lot of people have reservations about buying reptiles or animals in general across country. Luckily, I know Ken Foos from Exotic Pets LV and he’s worked in the Zoo Husbandry and Captive Bred business for over 30+ years. He takes very good care of the animals and sends them out with care. How’s he/she doing now?

Ilene did great for a while, but she didn't hibernate well last year. I got her up and her nose was clogged, took her to the vet and she did what she could, but Ilene Passed away. I am glad i was able to give her a good life for about 2 years. The vet offered to do a free Necropsy. She had underlying infection that may have been from the leg before they amputated. IDK. But yeah, i was really pissed at him for sending me the wrong type of turtle to begin with, and not paying the vet bills.