Outdoor enclosure perimeter walls

schristensen13

Location (City and/or State)
Chico, CA
We are adopting a ten yr old 40 lb male in the next few months from a friend. I have a pretty good idea of everything but the perimeter “walls”.
I was planning on stacked cinder blocks with posts driven through for reinforcement. I was just looking at our local tort rescue and saw that they use see through hog panels for their sulcata pens. I always thought it was better if they can’t see beyond their enclosure, but are panels a safe/healthy option? If so, I can make his pen much bigger, solely due to cost. Would panels with boards attached to cut down on visibility be a better option?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If the tortoise hasn't been raised behind cinder blocks, they aren't likely to hold a 40 pounder, stakes or not. If you go that route and the tortoise challenges the wall, you can line the inside with 16" x 8' long strips of plywood. This will prevent him from toppling the blocks. I think blocks are good for smaller tortoises, but larger ones will sometimes push out.

A visual barrier is a necessity. Injury is likely without it, so I wouldn't go that way unless you want to line the bottom with more of those 8 foot by 16 inch tall plywood panels.

The best way is to put pressure treated posts in the ground on 8 foot centers and use either plywood or 2x12s to make a wall.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
How high does the enclosure wall need to be?

Is there a standard minimum, like "twice the tortoise's length" or something, to avoid climbers?

Thanks,

Jamie

schristensen13

Chico, CA
If the tortoise hasn't been raised behind cinder blocks, they aren't likely to hold a 40 pounder, stakes or not. If you go that route and the tortoise challenges the wall, you can line the inside with 16" x 8' long strips of plywood. This will prevent him from toppling the blocks. I think blocks are good for smaller tortoises, but larger ones will sometimes push out.

A visual barrier is a necessity. Injury is likely without it, so I wouldn't go that way unless you want to line the bottom with more of those 8 foot by 16 inch tall plywood panels.

The best way is to put pressure treated posts in the ground on 8 foot centers and use either plywood or 2x12s to make a wall.

He is currently behind cinders, but honestly, I’d rather do a perimeter fence like you are suggesting. Cinders are pricey! Plus, I have a carpenter husband who can easily throw a fence like that up. Thanks for your information, I appreciate it!
All I had heard/read was they needed a visual barrier...then I saw pics of the rescue and got all confused. This guy is currently in a pretty small space, so I want as much room as possible for him to stretch his legs.

schristensen13

Chico, CA
Ok, one more question....what is a safe height for the perimeter walls? Obviously we want it to last a while....is there a standard suggested height? 24 inches?

Again, thanks for all of the help!

SULCY

NEW YORK
Since I use the roofing panels I believe they are 2 feet tall. For a smaller tortoise they probably could be shorter. Just didn't want to redo the enclosure when he got bigger.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I bought the corner pieces and 2X10s from home depot (l got two 8' boards, and they cut them in half for me) ... when Darwin gets a bit larger, I'll upsize them.

IMG_6489.jpg

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Keep in mind that your 40lb steam roller is not going to be happy to be moved to a new location. He's going to try to escape, probably most of the day, for a couple weeks. If you have the hog panels, he's going to end up with a bloody face from trying to get out all day long. So you need a sturdy fence that a 40lb bulldozer can't push down. . . and, believe me, they ARE very strong. I doubt cinder
blocks with posts driven through them would hold him.

When I got Dudley he was only 35lbs, and my fence held him just fine:
Dudley's up in arms a.jpg Dudley's up in arms b.jpg

MKNOX

Jupiter Florida
I built my enclosures out of 8' 1x6 attached to 4' on center fence posts. I went 18" high and have had no issues. I put the posts on the outside except in the corners, this keeps him from pushing on the posts as he cruises the perimeter. I have 2 sections connected by a door so I can shift him from one to the other as he grazes one side down currently I just keep the door open and let him have access to both sides.