Outdoor Enclosure

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411683115.769033.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411683134.886251.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411683170.966414.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411683204.495036.jpg
A few pictures of the outdoor enclosure I am working on for my sulcata. It's on cement so I added cypress mulch and will be adding flats of grass. I do put peaches (my sulcata) in the smaller cage for awhile also to eat grass. Right now she's hiding under the terra cotta pot. Just wanting to know what I'm doing right and anything that's wrong that I can improve on. I have already learned so much from this forum but looking to learn a lot more. I am from Louisiana and our weather is still warm and humid. She does come in for the night ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411683658.269438.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum.
Peaches

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I looks great! Nice job :) I would get rid of the ramp in the mulch area that goes to the terra cotta pot. Flip hazzard:(

Louisiana
I sure will remove it. Never thought of that. Thanks for the reply.

Peaches

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
It looms so nice! The grass flat are a great idea, I never would have thought of that...

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Neat lil' set-up ........
Do the Cows get to roam free or they have their own stall too ? .....:p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Curiosity question, why are you making it on the patio rather then out in the yard?

Louisiana
That's were we had a dog kennel and a shed already. I plan on insulating the shed and putting a door for her to go in and out for winter. I also plan on making her a place to go into the yard from her cage but for now I thought I would put her in this cage with a top so no other animals can get to her we do have a canopy over this enclosure (a green house tarp type ). And I had lots of ants in the yard which a am taking care of with good grade dom. Not going to attempt to spell it

Peaches

Louisiana
Cows do roam free but never seem to move from that spot LOL. I even have a dog and turtle. So trouble free haha. Thanks for the comments

Peaches

Louisiana
I meant to say food grade diatomaceous I looked up the spelling. Which is working great on the fire ants

Peaches

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't like sulcatas on concrete. A little bit is okay, but that is a lot. I'd rather see this out in the yard where the sulcata can graze on that luscious grass all day.

I suppose putting down some substrate on the concrete might help, but that might be a problem too with your torrential rains.

I think your effort here is fantastic. You are thinking the right ay, and you will have a happy healthy tortoise to show for your efforts!

Louisiana
I will be fixing a fenced in yard for peaches to go out as soon as possible. I'm also growing trays of grass seeds to put in her enclosure. Should I put a small pool with coconut coir in her enclosure to keep her off the cement a little more.

Peaches

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know... I like that the concrete is a larger area, on the ground, and allows your tortoise to move to shade or sun in a wide variety of areas. By contrast a kiddie pool seems so constricted. On the other hand, the abrasiveness and hardness of the concrete can cause problems for their feet.

Putting your current enclosure on the grass would be ideal in my opinion. Or just making a new one out there. I like the fencing to keep away dogs and predators, but your visual barrier around the bottom is perfect.

Louisiana
Sorry tom I meant putting a pool in the enclosure with a hole cut in the side so she can go in and out on the cement and to her cypress mulch. I do realize the best place is an enclosure in the grass I'm going to push forward to get that done. This forum is an actual lifesaver.

Peaches