pancake egg

Status
Not open for further replies.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ct.usa
016_zpsba2396df.jpg
[/img] boy, i stink at this computer stuff. this is number 7 egg. i have never had one looks like this.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Definitely fertile and developing nicely. I would say it still has a month or so to go. Before they hatch the inside will be almost completely dark as the little one is taking up most of the area. Things look good. The membrane is still high up indicating good humidity. Good job!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's quite oblong yes? Maybe there will be more then one in it? Just guessing, I have never had tort eggs. Keep us informed on the little one that comes from that egg. Would like to know if anything different.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
wellington said:
It's quite oblong yes? Maybe there will be more then one in it? Just guessing, I have never had tort eggs. Keep us informed on the little one that comes from that egg. Would like to know if anything different.

Pancake eggs are very oblongated. This is a very typical Pancake egg and will likely have one hatchling.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Pancake egg sounds like an order from IHOP :p

But all joking aside, good luck and I hope you have a very healthy little one in there!!

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi everyone, i feel like crying with joy! i am going to be a mommy.thanks tim/robin. lindy

CourtneyAndCarl said:
Pancake egg sounds like an order from IHOP :p
thats going to be its names!'baby ihop'. its funny you said that.
But all joking aside, good luck and I hope you have a very healthy little one in there!!

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
jtrux said:
Do they typically lay just one egg?

Yes. I have produced many over the past 4 years or so and never have I had more than one egg at a time. I have read that on rare occasions 2 may be produced. But that has never happened here, only single egg clutches.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Congrats momo. You've got a little tortoise on the way! :D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Tim/Robin said:
jtrux said:

Yes. I have produced many over the past 4 years or so and never have I had more than one egg at a time. I have read that on rare occasions 2 may be produced. But that has never happened here, only single egg clutches.

Interesting. I always get 2 eggs minimum each egg cycle/clutch laying season. Sometimes up to 4 per female in each laying.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
tortadise said:
Interesting. I always get 2 eggs minimum each egg cycle/clutch laying season. Sometimes up to 4 per female in each laying.

Pancakes??? I want to see that!! The size of eggs that mine lay, there would be no way they could have 4 inside of their small bodies. Do you have any photos? I would love to see! I regularly have females lay 4 clutches in a season, but all have been single egg clutches.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Unfortunately I do not have photos of my females laying this clutch. Most of my dealings with tortoises I have are not documented photographically(a personal problem I suppose) I do agree it is uncommon to see 4 in one clutch. But in my group I have never seen a single egg layed as well as a 2 egg minimum 65% of the time. At best 3 and few times 4. But this has happened in my specimens kept. One female in particular 3 years and counting. Not certain of the relevance at hand but of the uncommon incidences of those clutch sizes only 50-75% were fertile. Possibly a mere oddity in one particular female perhaps. Given she did only lay 4 eggs in the first clutch and 1 in the next. Where as typical of other specimens kept usually 1-2 eggs in 3 clutches.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
tortadise said:
Tim/Robin said:
jtrux said:

me too. two eggs on the first day, a few years ago. otherwise 2 each clutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.