PetSmart Fails Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What I say to everyone that post pics like this, is something like this: try to give the managers/owners some friendly helpful advice. Tell them the little things that could be changed to give the torts a better life while they are being housed there. If you do nothing to try and help the torts, your not much better then the people housing them in a bad way. We are the animals only voice. They may not take your advice, but at least you tried.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
I completely agree. A matter of fact I did talk to one of the supervisors and informed him they have the wrong species being advertised for sale, as well as living conditions. I told them I could print a care sheet and you could make copies, so the people who are interested in them know what there getting and getting themselves into. He was very interested to say the least and asked how I knew a lot, I said a online tortoise community named Tortoise Forum. :D In all honesty I doubt they'll do a single thing except for put a new picture for the correct species.
wellington said:
What I say to everyone that post pics like this, is something like this: try to give the managers/owners some friendly helpful advice. Tell them the little things that could be changed to give the torts a better life while they are being housed there. If you do nothing to try and help the torts, your not much better then the people housing them in a bad way. We are the animals only voice. They may not take your advice, but at least you tried.

They are Russian Tortoises and there being fed frozen vegetables, that have been thawed out.
Laura said:
they look Russian.. and it looks like real food at least.. not Fruity pellets.. hard to tell..

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Nope. Las Vegas, Nevada. Before these came in they had two Redfoot Tortoises. I was in shock because I asked myself "What are these Redfoots doing in PetSmart?"
ShellyTurtleTort said:
Are you in AZ? That looks like the same one I complained about.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
SulcataDud3 said:
I completely agree. A matter of fact I did talk to one of the supervisors and informed him they have the wrong species being advertised for sale, as well as living conditions. I told them I could print a care sheet and you could make copies, so the people who are interested in them know what there getting and getting themselves into. He was very interested to say the least and asked how I knew a lot, I said a online tortoise community named Tortoise Forum. :D In all honesty I doubt they'll do a single thing except for put a new picture for the correct species.
wellington said:

They are Russian Tortoises and there being fed frozen vegetables, that have been thawed out.
Laura said:
they look Russian.. and it looks like real food at least.. not Fruity pellets.. hard to tell..

Good for you. If everyone complains every time, just maybe things will improve. It wouldn't hurt either to send a letter with the picture to a higher up. Let them know how disappointed you are and how embarrassed they should be. You never know what the higher ups might not know about. The Petco and Petsmart by me actually do a great job on housing their Russians. That's all they sell. It might have a lot to do with the employees then always the corporation.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I found one that the cage was that small, had a Russian and a Greek, and was labeled "assorted tortoises"

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
I'll definitely make another trip, it's across the street from my housing complex and if I see no differences being made I'll make a complaint. I did also visit a Petco today and they had Russian's as well. They seemed to be doing the right things, moistened coco coir, shallow water bowl and a tray with fresh greens. I actually talked to an employee who loved tortoises and considered them his favorite animals. I suspected he was the one taking good care of them.

If you can zoom in the tag also says "assorted tortoises".
tortoise5643 said:
I found one that the cage was that small, had a Russian and a Greek, and was labeled "assorted tortoises"

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, that's how the stores by me keep them, coir, moistened, water available and fresh greens. I check them every time I am there and I have yet to see a problem.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Russians are not Greeks! Uggh. I hate seeing misinformation BUT let's all look at it as an opportunity to change things. I must admit I bought my two Greek tortoises there but with all I have learned on TFO every time I go in I make it me-mission to share things with the associates. They had a Russian and a Greek together and I totally dropped on the floor in front of the associate to make my point. It was kind of funny. My beau was with me, in suit, straight from long day in court (district attorney) and he turned beet red and shook his head. What do I care, right? I know the associates know about TFO and not mixing species and warm water soaks now. You do what you can. Like Ghandi said: We are accountable for what we do as well as for what we do not do. I just really feel we have to share things. For the tortoise's sake. For all tortoises, really.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Greeks, Russian, and Herman's are now sold as Assorted tortoises and should have a "testudo tortoise" tag.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Did they mislabel them or did some "funny" person come along and move the label?

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
No mislabeling, the person who had labeled them identified them as Russian's.
Jacqui said:
Did they mislabel them or did some "funny" person come along and move the label?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
But the sign above the price says Greek. Newbies are not going to know what they bought if they go by the sign there. And isn't that the water bowl that they can drown in? I thought I read a thread about those reptile water bowls being danger-danger.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
"Dropped on the floor to make my point" the first thing I thought of "Tank Man" the Tiananman back in 1989. The things we as people do, to make a difference. All we can do is try.
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Russians are not Greeks! Uggh. I hate seeing misinformation BUT let's all look at it as an opportunity to change things. I must admit I bought my two Greek tortoises there but with all I have learned on TFO every time I go in I make it me-mission to share things with the associates. They had a Russian and a Greek together and I totally dropped on the floor in front of the associate to make my point. It was kind of funny. My beau was with me, in suit, straight from long day in court (district attorney) and he turned beet red and shook his head. What do I care, right? I know the associates know about TFO and not mixing species and warm water soaks now. You do what you can. Like Ghandi said: We are accountable for what we do as well as for what we do not do. I just really feel we have to share things. For the tortoise's sake. For all tortoises, really.

Yes, those water bowls are a hazard.
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
But the sign above the price says Greek. Newbies are not going to know what they bought if they go by the sign there. And isn't that the water bowl that they can drown in? I thought I read a thread about those reptile water bowls being danger-danger.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
And isn't that the water bowl that they can drown in? I thought I read a thread about those reptile water bowls being danger-danger.

No, that is only with a small hatchling. It is fine for those guys.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
But the sign above the price says Greek. Newbies are not going to know what they bought if they go by the sign there.

I would bet the paperwork would have them sold as Russians.

Status
Not open for further replies.