Pico Rivera Swapmeet (Pico Rivera, CA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Walter asked that I post these pics. This was during his visit today...

02091713089501.jpg

02091713409501.jpg

02091714249501.jpg

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
The first time I visited this petshop their was poop everywhere...Mold was growing in the substrate (Alfalfa Pellets). They all have runny noses...The Sulcata has some serious pyramiding..very soft shell. I dont understand how tortoise take all that abuse and dont die!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Oh my... The pyramiding on the one farthest from the light breaks my heart!! I hope pyramiding does not cause them actual physical pain. Poor poor babies!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ugh... So sad. Ignorance, stupidity and apathy all in one.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Its an Indoor Swapmeet with different stands.

DonaTello said:
Ok so is this a swapmeet or a pet store?? I'm a little confused...

I know its hard to tell-But its 7inch Sulcata..sooo sad. They are selling this poor guy for $200 bucks! Can this be reported?? or does the Local Animal Control Office only concern is if Animal Cruelty is present? Even though we know its cruel...They are not reptile experts.
CtTortoiseMom said:
Oh my... The pyramiding on the one farthest from the light breaks my heart!! I hope pyramiding does not cause them actual physical pain. Poor poor babies!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sad the el monte swap meet used to sell box turtles like 15 years ago for 40 dollars and baby RES for 5 I have not seen them in a while now. In that first pic are those russians, RF's. and greeks?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
dmmj said:
Sad the el monte swap meet used to sell box turtles like 15 years ago for 40 dollars and baby RES for 5 I have not seen them in a while now. In that first pic are those russians, RF's. and greeks?

that's what it looks like!!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Pico Rivera is under LA County jurisdiction and they suck! I have absolutely nothing good to say about the County...that's why I work for the City:p Is the PR Swapmeet held at the Sports Arena?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
DeanS said:
Pico Rivera is under LA County jurisdiction and they suck! I have absolutely nothing good to say about the County...that's why I work for the City:p Is the PR Swapmeet held at the Sports Arena?

No I don't believe so. They have had their own facility in that same location for YEARS!!! They share it with tons of other Vendors also trying to make an easy $$.

Unfortunately, they think that by keeping these torts in "decent" condition it will get them by and enough time so they can sell it and get rid of it...but what happens when NO ONE buys a tort...in months even. Poor little guys just sit there in those conditions.

I want to start going to places like these and at LEAST drop off Care Sheets for them to give to customers.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Ok this may be a dumb question and you may or may not be able to answer it, but do they feed them? have you ever seen them fed? do you know what their diets are like? I know it may g o against the basic rule sof buying them so they can make money, but maybe we should do an operation rescue, go down as a group and buy as many as we can and then redistribute through the TF.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
From what I've seen...they throw in regular "lettuce" (the one shown above) in both places that we've visited. They also have what looks like tortoise food..Idk what that is.

That would be a great idea. I'd have to go in and get the price listing for the torts available and check out other locations as well.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Tortuga_terrestre said:
But if you buy them..they are going to get more..
I know but I figure if we buy the ones that have been there the longest maybe they won't make a lot of money off of them, it is just an idea.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
dmmj said:
Tortuga_terrestre said:
I know but I figure if we buy the ones that have been there the longest maybe they won't make a lot of money off of them, it is just an idea.

at least the ones in the worst condition

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Ok, if purchased..Who will Adopt this guy??? He is in pretty bad shape.
fmadrigal said:
dmmj said:
Tortuga_terrestre said:

at least the ones in the worst condition

M

Maggie Cummings

It's obvious that Sulcata has MBD and yes, it's painful. It hurts and I think they need to be reported just for that Sulcata. He's sick and in pain and somebody needs to help him...Laura??

Status
Not open for further replies.