Plastron damage - Help!

GM1025

Location (City and/or State)
Atoka OKlahoma
We have a baby Sulcata approximately 3 1/2 months old. We've struggled with proper enclosure due to space at our zoo. Sometime in the past week or 2 this damaged occurred. We are unsure if he got dropped by a customer (we've stopped letting the public hold them) a fennec fox bite (the babies only were in the same space a day or 2 because we noticed the fox messing with their bin) or the slot sat on him or something (one night only because we were trying to keep them properly warm and humid). I noticed a few days ago this one was not as active or eating as much. I soak daily in warm water and take them outside for sun time to help with the issues we've had getting the enclosure set up properly. We moved some animals around and they got a much better enclosure with proper heat, uvb and humidity now. He was a lil more active in this set up, I've been monitoring for signs of a RI due to the lack of activity and eating. Yesterday I did our daily soak and he DRANK and DRANK a ton of water, which made me very happy! I give them a lil run around time in the grass outside and this lil one moved a little and did a very long urate .. which again I was concerned but happy to see him pee! I had a gut feeling to check him more closely and found these nasty cracks on his side. We don't have an exotic vet near us that knows Tortoises. So my question is what can I do for him, products to use, what to look out for and any information I can take to our local vet (that sees quite a few of the other animals) to help her?

Attachments

• 449816225_828388529270493_8756244487889236103_n.jpg
    449816225_828388529270493_8756244487889236103_n.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 1
  • urate string.jpg
    urate string.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome!

Something bit this tortoise. You can tell by the opposing bite marks on each side. The marks on the carapace look like canine punctures, and that would be just about the right size for a fennec fox.

I would scrub the area with a betide solution one time, and then keep triple antibiotic creme on it for a couple of weeks. Be sure flies aren't getting in there and laying eggs.

They should be indoors in a large closed chamber, and this will prevent flies having any access to them.

Give these a read through for the current and correct care info:

GM1025

Atoka OKlahoma
Hello and welcome!

Something bit this tortoise. You can tell by the opposing bite marks on each side. The marks on the carapace look like canine punctures, and that would be just about the right size for a fennec fox.

I would scrub the area with a betide solution one time, and then keep triple antibiotic creme on it for a couple of weeks. Be sure flies aren't getting in there and laying eggs.

They should be indoors in a large closed chamber, and this will prevent flies having any access to them.

Give these a read through for the current and correct care info:

Thank you so much, I have both on hand and can do so. They are now in an 5x4 enclosure with both uvb & heat. I'll print those for the zoo owners and myself. Can i place a band-aide over it when antibiotic cream is applied so substrate won't stick? Know this is a bite mark is helpful. Any suggestions on getting him to eat? Fresh chopped grass and chopped hay plus chopped romaine is offered daily.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
It is best to keep the wounded tortoise on cloth or paper towels and separated from other tortoises. It is better than using a band aid, the wound can breath this way. Also, keep the tortoise indoors to avoid any flies laying eggs into the wound.

Has the tortoise lost his appetite?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Keep your tortoises separated always.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Has this tortoise been in a group of other babies the same age? Pairs or tortoises of different ages and species should not be housed together. Groups of mature tortoises should always have the correct male to female ratio.